Possible purchase?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Rilla927, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Nod32 looks like an awesome program. I have a few questions before purchase.

Would I be able to have the on demand scanner (right click) using Firefox and Opera? Please, tell me yes! I was at the Eset site and it only mentioned integrated context menu with IE.

I see Eset offers Nod32 DOS. Does the program come with an ISO Image for that?

Thank you

2. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Why you should need ISO image ?

3. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

There's a slight chance I might be misunderstanding here, but what do you need NOD32 to do when you right-click anything in Internet Explorer/Firefox/Opera?

I get no option from NOD32 when I right-click anything in Internet Explorer, and it is installed properly.

NOD32 scans all downloads (no matter which browser) over Internet automatically as far as I know. (Before the files are downloaded and when the files are stored locally on the computer.)

Anyway, I assume what you meant is right-click (context menu) in Windows Explorer and not Internet Explorer ? And looking at ESET's ( www.eset.com ) web site, this is what I can find:

"Key Features
    * Integrates into Windows Explorer’s context menu, allowing quick selection of a scanning target using the right mouse button."

So I don't see what Internet browser you choose/use have to do with this.

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Yes you can get right click on demand scans for files/folders etc in Firefox with NOD32. :D

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Could you share how you do this? The only AVs that I kknow of that do intergrate in this manner with Firefox are the Dr. Web and ClamAV plug ins. As was previously mentioned this would be kind of useless for a NOD user anyway as IMON would scan the file as it is downloaded and AMON would scan it again when it is written to the harddrive in the browsers cache. So what purpose would it serve to have a right click scan with in a browser, I think this would be overkill, just as I think the current set up is redundant, IMON should flag the file as already scanned so AMON doesn't repeat scan it.

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

yes - please share ...

7. Rilla927

I just thought possibly that's what they were using to burn the image to disk and then make a Bootable Disk of Nod.

8. Rilla927

Hi Kjempen,

Sometimes context menu items are specifically made for a specific browser only. At the Eset site it mentioned, the contexted menu being integrated with IE. Sometimes that actually means IE only! Not Firefox or Opera. That's why I was asking, I figured the Nod users are already going to know, right.

I sure hope they make this context menu item work with Opera, especially now since Opera is Free.

I want to use this on demand scanner to scan which ever files I want to d/l to make sure there are no malicious code. I don't want to wait until I go to execute the file to find out there is a nastie and then my AV goes off. To me that's a step too late if I can prevent it. It all comes down to safety.

You mentioned you don't have anything in your context menu. I read in the forum somewhere last night; when you install Nod32, you need to choose expert installation and there's a box you need to tick mark for the context menu. Something to that effect, don't quote me. Which means you would have to reinstall the software. I hope that helps you to understand a little better. :D

Kind Regards,

9. Rilla927

Thank you my friend, for that response! :D

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'm very confused..... You can't rightclick in Firefox and let it scan some files via NOD (normally), is it an extension?

11. flyrfan111

Ahhh, it has been stated that Eset's website says NOD integrates with WINDOWS Explorer not INTERNET Explorer. There is no context menu(right click) capability to scan files from with in IE. Windows Explorer is for browsing the local computer and any networked computers. Not the internet.
    A cut and paste from their website.

NOD32 for Microsoft Windows (on-demand scanner)
    Provides on-demand protection for computers at home or in the office, from Microsoft Windows 95/ 98/ ME workstations to Microsoft Windows NT/2000/2003/XP, Windows Powered servers.

Key Features

* Easy-to-use graphical user interface with an alternative, command-line execution.
    * Integrates into Windows Explorer’s context menu, allowing quick selection of a scanning target using the right mouse button.

12. flyrfan111

Don't worry Brian you are not the only person that is baffled here. It has been stated a few times that NOD doesn't have the functionality that is being stated it does. Perhaps one of the Eset Mods will jump in to dispell this misinformation. Or proof that NOD can/can't do what is being postulated.

13. Rilla927

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I have been searching for a new AV the last few weeks. I have been told in other forum, that yes, all AV'S will scan all files you download, but even though it scanned them it won't catch anything until you go to execute that particular file with the nastie, and then your AV starts screaming you have an infection.

The on demand scanner in real-time will find it before you execute the file you just downloaded. Just another layer of defense in my book.

I don't know if this is how Nod works or not, perhaps a moderator could shed some light on this. If I remember correctly Nod has HTTP scanning, right. These questions are what led me to this forum.

Also example: I have had virus in the past, I gather what files I can and put them on disk. I reformat and now I want to put these files back on my computer. Now I'm questioning whether these files have something lurking inside. So, the only way for me to find out is an on demand scanner in real-time. Then I would feel safe to put those files back on my computer.

Kind Regards Everyone

14. flyrfan111

IMON is an http scanner that scans files from the internet(http, not ftp) as they are being downloaded (before they touch your hard drive). With this in mind there would be no need to right click scan a file before executing it as the file was already scanned as you downloaded, additionally AMON would scan the file as it was executed anyway so the right click would totally unneeded and redundant as well as a waste of cpu cycles.

15. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

flyrfan111 is right.

16. zashita

zashita Registered Member

And you still have the possibility to perform a manual scan of the downloaded files in the Windows Explorer with a right click, if you really want to scan these files .... open the folder where the files are downloaded and scan them with the right click context menu.

17. Rilla927

Well that's fine if the http will take care of that. I don't know this product that's why I was asking.

Does that mean you can use Firefox or Opera and it will scan the files you download?

18. zashita

Simple answer : yes :)

19. Rilla927

Well, I guess some vendors are a head of others. The other product I was looking at didn't have HTTP scanning or right click. Sounds like to me Nod is much further a head.

I don't know why, but I happen to think of the HTTP thing right in the middle of my post.

Well heck, if I don't even have to worry about a right click to scan anything, I call that a winner! :D That's exactly what I am looking for.

That's all I was looking for guy's, was some clarification because I don't know the product.

Best Regards,

20. Rilla927

Thanks for your reply. Boy, am I glad the search for new AV is over! Now I can proceed with my reformat.

21. zashita

You are welcome :D

22. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I don't have any NOD32 option in my Internet Explorer context menu, but I do have in my Windows Explorer context menu. Internet Explorer is used for browsing web sites (the world wide web), and Windows Explorer is for browsing files locally stored on your computer or LANs (Local Area Networks). (As someone else mentioned in this thread.)

EDIT: And what I didn't understand is why would you need any virus scanner to have any option on right-clicking anything on a web site? Especially since all HTTP traffic are scanned automatically?

23. 123

123 Guest

It is better that you run a test on FTP! IMON can catch as well!

24. alglove

alglove Registered Member

IMON cannot catch FTP traffic, because it only scans HTTP traffic and POP3 traffic. However, anything you download via FTP will be scanned by AMON, once the download is complete.

25. Rilla927

Thanks for all your replies Kjempen, 123, Alglove!

When they Eset said Windows Explorer, I took that meaning IE. So I'm the one that misunderstood.

Since I don't own Nod, I came to the forum with certain things I was looking for in an AV. See, I didn't know that Nod had certain capabilities. That's why I came to the forum to find out. Obviously Nod is much further a head in development than other vendors.

Now that I found what I'm looking for I'm a Happy Camper!

I will purchase Nod32 and my new FW and install when I do my reformat.

Kind Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.