Possible merger of Malwarebytes and GFI ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wtsinnc, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone has heard news of a possible merger between Malwarebytes and GFI (Vipre).

No reason to ask really, except that Malwarebytes lists GFI as a 'Stragetic Alliance' partner and that there have been rumors about Malwarebytes' possible entry into the antivirus arena.

-Anyway-

Malwarebytes' recent default color change is almost the exact same blue as used by Vipre. :rolleyes:

I know- pretty lame, but I was just wondering...

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Do you have a link with that rumor?

3. wtsinnc

No link.
    I'm only throwing this out there.
    I have read forums where an occasional post would ask if MBAM was a true antivirus.

I believe it was here that someone from Malwarebytes responded to a post about a possible "MBAV" with a generic statement that (they) are constantly assessing the possibility- or something like that.

Vague to be sure, but my OP was only to ask about any concrete information regarding the possibility of this happening.

The business partnership with GFI caused me to wonder if that might mean a collaboration as I believe both Malwarebytes and GFI could benefit from a joint effort to develop and market a top-drawer AV.

This was my only reason to post.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

New product name: VipreBytes? :D
    I run both softwares, and I'm not even sure how I would feel about such a merger.
    Perhaps we ought to seek input from Marcin.

5. wtsinnc

An interview with Marcin Kleczynski from October of last year offers two interesting statements.

Derrick: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has had a similar interface for the last few years. Can we expect any major changes to the product in the near future?

Marcin: We are actively developing version 2.0 in both interface and engine, so yes, something is in the pipeline for next year. That’s about all I’m going to say for now.

-And-

Derrick: Does Malwarebytes have any intentions of becoming a rounded AV solution like NOD32 or Norton 360? What are some of the longer term plans for the software?

Marcin: It’s an option most definitely, but we want to stick to what we’re good at. I don’t want to create an AV software, and also have an anti-malware product, and end up becoming just as ineffective as some other bloated solutions on the market. People may then steer clear from installing Anti-Malware alongside an anti-virus solution because they think one program handles it all. This is not the approach we want to push.

Link:
    http://www.technibble.com/fighting-...-with-malwarebytes-founder-marcin-kleczynski/

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

OK I admit it, that was hilarious.

At this time we do not have plans to make a direct partnership that would exclude other AVs.

We want you to create layered security that works for you.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The name alone cries out for a merger, Bruce.
    Two-fanged protection, designed to puncture any threat! ;)

8. wtsinnc

Thank you for the fast response.

Although I see the reason(s) for keeping MBAM as a separate entity, I feel that combining it with Vipre would make for a killer app !

Page42;
    Let it go.
    He's already stated they're not selling snake oil.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

wtsinnc;
    No need to get all coiled up about it.

10. wtsinnc

For the good of the community, this thread should be closed. :D

11. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

That name would be fitting, because MBAM+Vipre would byte, as it would probably grind a system to a screeching halt. I like MBAM but cannot use it because it carries the weight of a full security suite - unfortunately. I have fast machines, and it still 'significantly' slows most aspects of it. I wish they'd focus on improving performance, above all.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Not to be confushed that viper bites.:p

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Good point as viper alone has always has slowed my systems.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Don't want to get too far OT, so I simply suggest anyone interested in speeding up VIPRE, check out this thread on the GFI Forum.
    I made the configuration change and it works.
    As for a possible merger, as I stated earlier, I currently run both of these softwares and they don't slow my machines down.

15. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I think that MBAM + Ikarus would be leading solution.

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hope MBAM doesn't get merged with any other product or lose focus of what they do. If so I will dump it. Hopefully these rumors are just rumors.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

MBAM's all of 3.92 MB on my notebook (freeware version). It's hardly the weight of a full security suite. Even MSE is huge compared to MBAM & MSE is pretty light.

18. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

I think the same...mbam should ikarus and ikarus should mbam :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.