Possible MBAM false positives?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JRCATES, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I just downloaded and installed Megabytes' Anti-Malware.....updated the definitions and ran my first scan.

It found two objects, that after Googling and researching a bit, might be false positives. Neither NOD32, Kasperksy Online Scanner, or SuperAntiSpyware identified either of these objects (marked by MBAM as "adware").

For now, I have selected them to be "ignored" by MBAM in future scans. But without submitting them as false positives....is there any other way to have them looked at more closely?

Thanks

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

first of all, im guessing u mean Malwarebytes' and not megabytes'. and maybe if u can tell us where these files are located, are they a file to a well known application.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

What did it find and where?

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Also, it would be a very good idea to post at the Malwarebytes board in the False Positives section.

Not only is that by far the fastest way of both bringing it to the developers attention and getting an informed opinion, but, should it indeed be a FP, it would then be fixed very fast indeed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and responses, guys :thumb:

MALWAREbytes' (yes, my bad - nasty cold has been clouding my thinking the past few days) Anti-Malware found two registry entries referring to Weatherbug...which came bundled with RealPlayer. Classified it as "Adware.Minibug", but researching a little about Weatherbug, the version that came with RealPlayer doesn't "pop up" any advertisements, but the ads appear within the program's box...IF you actually use the Weatherbug program...which I have not, and don't intend to. For that matter, I don't use RealPlayer much at all.

Seems this Weatherbug has been discussed for years now as to whether it is or should be classified as spyware or not, and most vendors are split as to whether to classify it as such or not......

6. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its the one thing i dont like about MBAM, the amount of False Alarms ive recieved when trying it, is rather ridiculous. :doubt:

8. rainbow1112

rainbow1112 Registered Member

U should report the FP in their forum they correct FP very fast most of the time within a day.

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ads always piss me off, i say if there is an ad, no matter what kind, it should be detected as adware/spyware. nobody wants to bothered with that crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.