*Possible* Internet Explorer 8 Install Conflict

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Alec, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I recently installed the final release Internet Explorer 8 (version 8.0.6001.18702) on Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 1. After install I encountered the following issues:
    • right click a page link, select "Open in New Tab" would create new color-coded tab with "Connecting..." in the tab header with no page content;
    • right click a page link, select "Open in New Window" would appear to do nothing at all;
    • click blank tab (or ctrl+T), select "Open an InPrivate Browsing window" would appear to do nothing at all; and
    • pages with non-advertising, purposeful pop-up dialog boxes (for example, on some community posting sites such as http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx) would not function correctly... even with pop-up blocker disabled.
    After many proposed solutions were tried, the correct one finally was proposed (and is confirmed as resolving the issue by myself and quite a few others)...
    • open a new "Command Prompt" window by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator",
    • at the prompt, run the command "regsvr32 actxprxy.dll".
    All symptoms appear to be resolved.

You may be wondering, then, why I am posting this on the ESET NOD32 Antivirus Forum? The reason is because -- at least from my informal observation -- everyone reporting the above problem appears to have had ESET NOD32 installed on their system. So it seems there *MAY* be a conflict between NOD32 and the Internet Explorer 8 installer which prevents the above DLL from being properly registered. I'm by no means certain of this, but I thought I would post this in case others might find the resolution helpful.

2. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I found it helpful and your solution seems to have resolved several of your documented issues. I had a sneaking suspician it had something to do with ESS but couldn't quite put my finger on it. My problems were intermittent and were often fixed by restarting IE8 but something was amiss.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.