Possible infection - what can I try?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RobOK, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

I have a Vista 32 bit box that has strange behavior, it may or may not be a virus or malware. My main account "Magnum" starts logging in and gets to Welcome and then immediately goes to "logging off". I can only log in in Safe Mode.

Another account has been created, called User. I don't think I created it but I can use it. When in the User account, which is an Admin, I canNOT access Magnum files even with overriding the security warning.

Within the Magnum account (under Safe Mode) I have not been able to detect anything. Some programs (DDS script and ComboFix) stall and never finish.

Is there anything I can try with NOD32 v5 to find something? I think I have most settings enabled.

Is sure feels that I have something, but nothing is getting detected. Frustrating.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks,
    Rob.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

PM Sent

3. rekun

rekun Registered Member

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I have not ruled out a profile corruption issue. In my mind, I discounted that some since I can login in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, the desktop is fine, internet is fine, all files seem fine. When I run DSS ( a diagnostic script) it hangs and ultimately crashes the computer (blue screen).

I will ping one of the volunteers, I had not seen that before.

Thanks,
    Rob.

6. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

7. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

The ESET disk ran and showed an old school progress bar loading Windows but then the screen never came on. I suspect the Windows kit did not include a driver for it? I may try again, but not sure if I know enough to create an ESET rescue disk.

Kapersky offers an ISO that you can download. I did that and ran it. It found a Keylogger in a ZIP file (Trojan-PSW.Win32.Agent.uju), but I can't tell if it is active or not. The CD did not recommend removing it and I will go back and remove it.

I don't think a Keylogger would cause my profile behavior. So I am thinking it is not malware but some other problem.

I would like any advice on how to get the ESET disc to work? (all I got was a blank screen).

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.