Possible high CPU usage with Intel Cpu's?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MarioLando, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioLando

MarioLando Registered Member

Hi all,why Nod32 5 x64 keeps my cpu at 20%?(20% is minimum) while the nod32 version 4 keep it at 2-3% in idle mode?anyone else with this problem?i have Intel Core 2 Duo E8600,4gb Ram DDR 2 1066.Tryed many things,install and uninstall again,instal version 4 first and after reinstall the 5,and still same problem.Same problem on another system with Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu,but not on one system with Athlon64 X2 6400+(on that system the cpu stays at 3-5% in idle,wich is normal).can it be a problem with Intel cpu's?i wait suggestions.on all 3 systems the windows 7 ultimate x64 with sp1 was clean installed with format etc.The module with problem is the ekrn.exe in task manager.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. piranha

piranha Registered Member

i run nod32 v5 beta/RC/final in an old Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz with only 1 Go memory and no problem here

if you search here about ekrn.exe and cpu usage, there is a lot of post about it. I was thinking these issue was fixed..... but....

it could be because your settings.

Do you use default settings ?

Do you enable advanced heuristics all the time (not necessary) o_O

what is HIPS settings ?

Do you have a firewall apps with HIPS running too ?

do you have an external HD connect to you pc ?

have a look here, could be new removable media protection
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308801

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. MarioLando

i found what was the problem...seems that both nod32 5 and smartsecurity 5(the 64 bit versions) have big problems with the latest drivers for all line of creative x-fi 64 bit.(xtreme music,xtreme gamer,fatality etc.)...if u install the latest driver from creative for your soundcard and u have nod32 5,bang!cpu always at 20-25%,that's bad for Creative X-fi soundcard owners,personally i found easily the solution,i rolled back to version 4 of Nod 32,and no problem,though i liked the new version...Eset should contact Creative about that or try to fix the thing alone dunno what i should say.Tested with other creative soundcard too(extreme gamer)on another system,and with the latest driver from creative and nod32 5/ess 5 same problems,so it's not my pc or my soundcard...

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have the older creative x-fi driver 2.18.0013 and dont have this issue.

the newer driver only corrects three issues so i didnt bother upgrading and with the older driver I dont have the above issue. I have a creative x-fi extreme music.

if none of the following affect you i would surgest downgrading to the older driver:
    System taking more than two minutes to shut down.
    PowerDVD® DX 8.3 (Dell® version) not working properly.
    Passthrough of Dolby®/DTS® audio to an external decoder not working with Windows Media Player 12.

5. MarioLando

i will try thanks,i was using the latest driver.same card here,Creative X-fi Xtreme Music ;)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you can reproduce the issue, could you confirm or deny that disabling real-time protection makes a difference? Then we could investigate the culprit by monitoring file operations that are performed which might shed more light and help us pinpoint the issue.

7. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Have this issue, happens intermittently whenever I switch from LCD to Monitor and vice versa. egui eats up 50% of CPU (I'm using Atom dual core)

8. MarioLando

Piranha,nothing dude.it's don't work...its going normal just with the driver from cd(that is made for vista and it's old)...with the version x-fi driver 2.18.0013 it's don't work too.and i specified,i talk about the version for windows 7 x64,so the x64 version of both eset nod32 antivirus and smartsecurity act the same when i install the latest driver(for windows 7x64 also).i saw ur configuration and for sure u dont use windows 7 x64 with 1gb of ram :p,for the 32bit version of windows,antivirus,driver etc. i didnt tried maybe it's work perfectly with 32bit version.tried to disable every protection too,and stil the same, "ekrn.exe" eats at least 25% of the cpu..and i installed Windows 7 x64 already 3 times(clean install with format) and tried with 2 different versions of windows.

9. MarioLando

what you think guys,Eset will look onto this kind of problems?

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you make a Process monitor log at the moment you observe the problem with scanning the drivers, compress it, upload the package somewhere and PM me the download link?
    Alternatively you could make a process dump of ekrn. On Win Vista/W7, simply open the Task manager, right click ekrn.exe amon running processes and select "Create Dump File". Then compress and submit it per the above instructions.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  11. MarioLando

thanks dude.here's the link : ~ link invisible - available to Eset ~

12. MarioLando

Suddenly it works omg.i installed it again cuz Marcos asked for that .dmp file and it works now,i cannot believe. :D
    but im sure that if i will clean install windows again,it will keep my cpu bussy again,i hope not though. :p

Attached Files:

13. MarioLando

i posted here too the upload link of the .dmp file that Marcos asked me,but the post don't want to appear.Btw,thanks for your care Marcos,u are great dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.