Possible false positive

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I just received this popup on the Winzip page when trying to download the latest version of Winzip. Is this a false positive? I know sometimes software comes bundled with optional junk software that you can opt out of during the installation. I don't know if Winzip is doing this or not now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello Cutting_Edgetech

No it is not a false positive, last time I downloaded Winzip it were massively bundled with lots of software.It's detections were correctly identified as potentially unwanted programs. I have posted some screenshots from the last time that illustrates what I saw under the installation. See link: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2049177&postcount=2 Are using Winrar 64 bit at the moment and are very pleased by its performance.

Regards, Janus

3. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

This is not a false positive detection. ESET has correctly identified the flag as a PUA. Potentially Unwanted Application. You may configure your software to ignore this warning [Not Recommended]

Attached Files:

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

ok, thanks Janus, and Siljaline! I thought that may have been the case. Its a shame that so many software vendors are starting to become shady in their practices. I'm glad NOD 32 was doing it's job.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  5. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

You're welcome. My information is that builds of WinZip 14.x do not have the PUA - you may proceed with running an older version of the program.
    This would be at your risk. http://www.filehippo.com/download_winzip/7397/

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

or just temp disable eset while yo uinstall and make sure to watch for the added program and deselect it. as long as you know its there i dont see the harm in that personally. i find with certain programs i have to do this at times because it detects the added optional program. but as long as you know and do not install it just re-enable eset when done.

7. maaster

maaster Registered Member

In ESET 6 there are no options like "exclude from detection" when a PUP is detected!!!why is that so?

8. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Please wait for someone from ESET to assist you further.

9. foneil

foneil Eset Staff Account

10. maaster

maaster Registered Member

11. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Exclude the the PUA on a on time basis as indicated by ESET Support. One time only, revert this setting to default once done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.