possible ccleaner problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It started off as an ordinary thread in ccleaner forum, but could be a big problem with the hotfix uninstaller.
    May be asking you all soon how to put my hotfixes back.

See Here

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have personally had CCcleaner installed three times and everytime it has deleted system files. I was hoping that the new versions would improve it but I didn't see any improvments so it won't ever go back on my computer.

bigc

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

ditto here ...and to make matters worse, CCleaner doesn't automatically save/compress the files it's about to delete to a backup folder (as other cleaners do) - so that you can easily recover!

~pv

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay Guys I am curious. I am using CCleaner and I've not had this problem. I just checked my settings and most of the system stuff is under and Advanced section. I have that complete section turned off. Have these hotfix files been deleted with that section turned off. Also checked and all my hotfix files are there.

Pete

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The advanced section is by default turned off.
    And it warns you if you try to activate it.
    Mrk

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Personally, I think the problem is overblown. I've never really had problems with CCleaner deleting things it shouldn't. As noted, the "hotfix uninstaller" is off by default, as it should be. However, I actually have checked the option because I'm comfortable enough with the hotfix process that I don't really need or want the rollback code anyway. In the numerous years I have been using Windows Update, I can't recall ever uninstalling any patch or hotfix.

Yes, I have also read up on the $hf_mig$ folder issue as well, and although it perhaps shouldn't be deleted... I don't think it's a big deal either. I suspect that the likelihood of Microsoft packaging an older version of a file with a later hotfix is actually pretty low in practice. Moreover, Microsoft tends to every now and then roll-up a lot of security hotfixes into updates and service packs that will also tend to correct the problem eventually anyway. Finally, by the end of the year (hopefully), I will likely have migrated on to a clean install of Vista. No worries here.

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I can't say I've had a problem, but I have noticed it takes a while to analize in cleaner mode. Like 16 passes.

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I just downloaded CCLEANER from PC Worlds recommendations on 101 freebies in their May edition. Having read some of these "threads" on hot fixes etc I'm now scared to install it and use it. I have PC Tools privacy guardian and their registry mechanic. Maybe I don't need CCLEANERo_O?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Escalader

No problems here. I don't use the Registry cleaner however. You might want to take a look at their forum here.

The screenshot shows my settings.

Attached Files:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Another.

Attached Files:

11. Peter2150

Hi Ron

I've let it delete Windows log files, without any problems. Any reason not to do that?

Pete

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've had some uninstall issues on programs in the past so, I simply choose to leave those files.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've not had any problems in this area, but then I don't have the Advanced section ticked, which contains the Hotfix Uninstallers.

14. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I can't pinpoint the culprit with 100% certainty, but before installing CCleaner, Windows update and Office update worked perfectly, after using CCleaner they don't. That was just the regular cleaning function, not the 'Issues'. I probably should have left 'Windows Log Files' unchecked.

15. Peter2150

Hi Meltdown

Boy did I just go thru all that, geesh. I suspect it wasn't from the log files, but a heavy handed registry cleaning. If you want some help on that post a question about it in a separate thread and I will take you thru my whole hairy experience. Have it all fixed, and once I figured out how, it wasn't all that bad. Note having something like Rollback and/or FDISR installed isn't a bad idea just in case you make the fix worse.

Pete

16. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I'm certainly not saying that you don't have a problem, and I'm not even saying that CCleaner isn't the cause of it... but, as a point of reference, I have used CCleaner for over a year now and I have zero issues with Windows Update, Office Update, or the new Microsoft Update. They all seemingly work fine here. I even have several entries checked in the advanced section including the "Hotfix Uninstallers" as well as the "Windows Log Files" in the System section.

Of course, everyone's system is just a bit different and one small mistake in CCleaner could, I suppose, mess up one person's system and not another's. As I recall, the Windows Log Files setting just clears out some of the text logs that Windows creates in certain circumstances... none of which, to my knowledge, have any programmatic effect on future updates or other running processes. I believe that these log files are simply meant to be diagnostic tools and are, in fact, rarely used even for that. They tend to be generated more just as a matter of record-keeping.

17. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Peter2150 - thanks for your kind offer, but as it is I'm planning a reformat in the next couple of weeks anyway, so it's not really worthwhile spending time on this. I'll look into the recovery software you mention; FDISR seems to get universally glowing reviews here.

I'm sure CCleaner has many satisfied users, but several posters in this thread have reported problems with it.

18. Peter2150

Hi Meltdown

I didn't do it with CCleaner. Biggest problem was by the time I had figured out I had a problem, I had long since refreshed FDISR/Rollback so I did away with that option. Fix is easy enough there isn't need for a format unless you plan to do it anyway.

Pete

19. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I've just installed some critical security updates from microsoft and the hotfix-uninstallerfile $hf_mig$ was reinstated where it belongs.

It was missing because i made the mistake to delete it with ccleaner.

Greetings
    Lamehand

20. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Mmm, I keep 'em for verification, KB902400 has broken several times. Easy to keep them there so I know what I'm checking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.