Possibility to lock a program folder?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Caratacus, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a password-locked-folder program that will prevent other users from getting into the folder of Program "X" (in this case SpyBuddy which has to start with WindowsXP startup and then monitor a kid's use of the computer) but still allows Program "X" to run normally?

The idea is that though the kid knows that the program is on the machine & supervising him he can't get into the folder and uninstall it etc. Hopefully there is a folder lock program that will prevent such access but still allow the monitorinf prog to function normally.

2. southcat

southcat Registered Member

3. Caratacus

Thanks SouthCat!

But - will Windows still be able to access and run automatically programs in a locked folder?

4. lockdown

lockdown Guest

What about Winguard Pro? It sounds like it might be what your looking for and there is a free version available too. ;) http://www.winguardpro.com

5. Caratacus

Thanks Lockdown but again that does not allow me to lock a folder with a program in it that I want to run automatically at Windows startup, yet at the same time be inaccessible to terrorist children via My Computer or Windows Explorer. Still, it's a handy prog and it DOES allow me to password protect Add/Remove Programs.

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

7. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello Caratacus. Those programs allow you set the locked folder read-only but cannot write or delete it.

However, a powerful program may also dangerous. If you forget the password, you always have to reinstall windows to unlock the locked folder.

regards

8. Caratacus

INFINITY, I will try out Invisible Secrets as you say and see how it runs. Thaks!

Southcat: that is the information I need. I'll give FG & FL a whirl along with Inv Secrets & see which does the job best. I'll report back later.

Thanks, comrades, for the help - much appreciated!

9. notageek

notageek Registered Member

There's a tool in WinNer Twaek that locks folders. I'm using that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.