Ports 80 & 443 show as open??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just a suggestion on this... the next time you have it installed and it shows TCP port 80 "open" - browse to it, just to see if there is a service running. If it is actually open, there has to be something holding it open. Closed or stealth - fine, but, open means there should be something running that you can access. Maybe you'll end up in a management webpage or similar. At the very least, it might give you some kind of information in response to a connection attempt, which might then lead to an answer.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I use to use port explorer for this with XP, but it's no longer supported and i'm using W7. How do you suggest I check this? Will TCP view work? I was running on so little sleep when I was trouble shooting this that I did not even think to do this. I believe that will work.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, I was think that you could simply put your IP address in your web browser. If port 80 is open to the Internet, as the port scan above showed, that suggests there is a webserver process running there. A browser would connect to the open port and talk to the webserver behind it. (Of course, just because it is TCP port 80 does not ensure that there is a webserver there, but, it is at least "suggestive" of it.)

4. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Hello, Cutting_Edgetech
    where are you testing for port 80?
    I also am using OA firewall and would like to test
    the port also
    G

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This may be nothing, but sometime ago I messed around with some firewall rules (not untangle) and I added a new connection device. Result? Open ports. It turns out I had disabled a few firewall rules, which were totally unneeded for the previous connection device.

Could you have tweaked something, which resulted in this situation, but not when you use your old router?

May be a long shot and completely useless... who knows. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to give the info.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

There's lots of sites for this, but I prefer to use -http://www.auditmypc.com/, and -http://www.pcflank.com/.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

I added an 8 port GS108 Netgear switch to my network with Untangle. I noticed it says auto-uplink on it. Could a switch cause an open port? I have never heard of it, but i'm far from being an networking expert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.