Ports 80 & 443 show as open??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I just installed Untangle, and now ports 80, and 443 are showing open. I have Untangle Firewall installed so should it not be hiding my ports? If so then what can i do to fix this? Also I have Kaspersky installed, and HTTP enabled. I have been surfing the net for about an hour, and it says no documents have been scanned in the console. Documents scanned=0 Should it not be showing some scanning activity in the console?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Cutting_Edgetech

The Mods can delete this thread. Untangle responded to my question in less than a minute!!!!:eek:

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Cutting_Edgetech, instead of deleting this thread, can you provide the answer to your question for a future Untangle reference?

4. Cutting_Edgetech

JRViejo, i'm glad you did not delete my thread. It looks like I may need it after all. I thought I was going to get some help, but unfortunately the thread I started at Untangle's forum has been of no help. Some of the responses I have received have been very disrespectful. I do not know if they are staff of Untangle or regular members of the forum that are being unprofessional. Surely they are not staff. Maybe someone else more professional will answer my post. Here is the link to the thread I started -http://forums.untangle.com/networking/20685-ports-80-443-showing-open.html :thumbd:

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Then, we'll leave the thread open and wait for a good Samaritan to come by. :) Thanks for posting back, Cutting_Edgetech.

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Not there anymore? o_O

7. Cutting_Edgetech

I was banned from the Untangles forum for trying to get support!! They deleted my account, the thread I started, and blocked my IP address. Don't take my word for it. They have to be the worst company ever!! Mods, please do not remove this thread or post. Consumers have a right to know this information before spending their hard earned money to only be denied support. This is just so wrong! I have never been treated so badly. I took screen shots of the thread in case they delete the thread. I would stay away from untangle if I were you. At least i found out what they are about early on.

Attached Files:

8. Cutting_Edgetech

I was able to take screen shots of all the post in the thread except the last one made where I explained in the most professional manner possible that I am not spam, and sincerely need help. Look at the replies they gave me in the last 2 screen shots in post #7 above. Its just unbelievable! How could you treat your customers so bad. I wasted time, and money on untangle! The money came from me building the appliance to run untangle on. I'm just glad I had not purchased Kasparskey GAV for Untangle like I was going to. At least I found out how bad they are before purchasing the AV. It would have been another $108. Below is a screen shot showing the message I got informing me I was banned from the forum for ever.

Attached Files:

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Looks like they mixed you with a spam bot... they must have some spam problems and got paranoid. I would re-register and send a PM to the user that looked from untangle (from the signature) and explain the issue. You could even refer to this link for them to check you are not a bot.

I think its just a mistake... not nice... but I am sure you can easily solve it via PM (assuming you have a dynamic IP to log in again).

Fax

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I made it very clear in the last post I made that I am not spam in the most professional manner possible. I was going to take screen shot of that post, but they deleted my account, and the thread before I could. I do not see how they could have possibly mistaken me for spam. I can't even access the forum at all now because they blocked my IP. I will probably have to use a proxy just to send them an e-mail.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Try that, at least you have done all you could to rectify the issue. :thumb:

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I guess your right Fax. I just hope that my VPN service will work with Untangle. I have not tried it yet. I don't want to be in the wrong myself so I will do what I can to make it clear that I am indeed not a troll, spam or whatever else they may have took me for. I don't believe any of my post could have lead them to believe that i could be spam or a troll though. I'm still very disappointed in the way I was spoken to. It was just so unprofessional. Well, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the reply Fax!!

13. fax

fax Registered Member

You're welcome! :)

14. Cutting_Edgetech

If anyone here at Wilders knows why ports 80, and 443 are open then I would be very thankful to hear from you!! I already reinstalled untangle 3 times, and these ports were not open before I installed untangle. Is there any untanlge users here :)

15. Cutting_Edgetech

I just sent the e-mail to support, but to be quiet honest untangle is not working for me at all so far. I tried setting up port forward rules for some of my apps, and i had no success. My ports are still open, and if this is what's to come then I may just be better off trying something better. I will see if i get a reply from them.

16. Fad

Fad Registered Member

You would have thought someone with the experience of having over 11 and a half thousand posts on a forum would have taken more care and attention before coming to the conclusion you were a bot. o_O

17. Cutting_Edgetech

I hear you Fad!
    They could have at least made some attempt to verify that I was legit. I did not say anything that I know of that would make anyone with experience working a forum believe I was spam or a troll. I let them know right away that I was brand knew to untangle. I informed them I had just installed it, and had no experience with it. At first my resolution was messed up so I could not see the little add box to configure FW rules, port forwarding etc.. After I got the resolution corrected I saw that I had just overlooked it. I was then able to access what I needed to configure rules for my applications, port forwarding etc.. I configured some port forwarding rules for some apps that required them, but I was still unable to get them to work. I guess they just assumed I was a dummy when I told them I did not know how to port forward using untangle. Now I have no support since I've been banned from the forum. For now i'm using an old LinkSys RVS4000 security router. At least it works, and it has SPI, IPS, NAT, etc.. I also thought it was very strange that they made fun of my interest section of my profile. These people know nothing about me, and have no clue what I do for a living. They took it upon themselves to poke fun at something they have no knowledge of. It was just plain pathetic. I think it would just be best that I move on to something else because there are many options out there to choose from. There's no reason for me to lower myself to their level, and get in a mud slinging contest. I'm just glad I have Wilders because everyone here is always glad to help you the best they can.

18. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Although their staff seemed a bit paranoid, but it was partially your fault, you shouldn't fill up sig, 'interests', website etc as soon as you join a forum, that's what spammers do. btw I think he meant human spammer because it was obvious you weren't a bot.

I say try again with another IP and refer them to this thread.

19. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Untangle.

Kind of an ironic name for a product/forum considering the mess that has been created.

21. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Sorry, I see you were a user there since Dec 2010, entirely their fault!

22. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

I have to agree with that, the crap in the sig is really a Wilders thing. Personally, wherever I can I block it. I really have no interest.

23. SkyKnight

SkyKnight Registered Member

Hello all, it is unfortunate that my first post here has to be under such circumstances.

I am, the guy with the silly amount of posts that reported this user as a spammer. I would like to confirm that I did so because of your disregard for forum policy regarding links in your signature. I'm the very same Rob Sandling, aka Sky-Knight.

Indeed, Untangle forums have been the target of heavy spam attacks. And we have seen many users use the tactic of asking a seemingly normal question for the sole purpose of adding links all over the place. Because of this, I've gotten a bit trigger happy with the report button.

Your attempts at getting around the ban for a notification of the Untangle staff weren't needed. But, I also note that you couldn't know a truth I'll share here.

Many of us old time Untanglers are regulars here as well. Even if we do simply lurk all the time. :D So no sooner than I was out of bed this morning this controversy was right in my face. I don't have control over whom gets banned or not. I'm simply trying to keep our forums clean from spam. So if you wish to be angry, be angry with me for clicking the report button.

Also, I feel the need to point out that I'm not an Untangle staffer. I'm simply an Untangle reseller that volunteers a silly amount of time trying to help people on the forums for free.

I will repeat the advice I did give you. TCP 80 should NEVER be open. That port is open because you opened it, or your installation has something fundamentally wrong with it. Given you have a router configuration I'm not sure how it could be backwards and expose that port. Which is quite possible with the bridge mode installation when it's incorrectly placed outside the NAT device. TCP 443 will almost always be open as that is the point used for OpenVPN client distribution, external report viewing, and external administration. You may use a packet filter rule to force this port closed if you like, but there is a negative impact on some of Untangle's features if you do so.

If TCP 80 is still open, I suggest you get a fresh ISO from the sourceforge.net, make sure to use the md5 to verify the download, reburn the disk from that clean ISO at less than 4x, and reinstall the product.

In the interests of full disclosure, TCP 22 will report "closed" by default. So for a full stealth Untangle you must create packet filter rules to drop inbound HTTPs and inbound SSH.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. Your ban has been removed. Feel free to use the same signature you use here on Untangle's forums. Just leave it free of links please.

Rob Sandling aka Sky-Knight
    Intouch Technology

24. Cutting_Edgetech

I did not know it broke forum rules, and I would have removed it immediately if they would have just sent me a PM.

25. Cutting_Edgetech

I tried reinstalling Untangle 3 times now, and port 80 still shows open. Now that i'm using an old router of mine all my ports are stealthed again. I will try downloading the ISO again, and reburning the disk below 4x. I'm really short on time now so it will not be today. I spent hours yesterday trying to work the mess out for myself. Any reference guides for new users would be great. Examples for port forwarding would be great. I tried setting up several rules for port forwarding, and they did not work. I do not know if it was something I did wrong or if there was something faulty with the installation. I do know port 80 was open before I ever attempted to configure any port forwarding rules. I will try to search the forum for reference guides. In the future I suggest you PM users if they have broken some forum rule, and give them a chance to correct the matter. I would have removed the sigs from my profile immediately if I had been notified by a post or PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.