PortExplorer Trial ??

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Valkyri001, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

o_OOk! guys&gals! I completely messed it up, I followed the instructions on the screen but it still comes up with the same message to re-install.
    OS is 98se remote wireless( all updated as of 2\24\04)
    I'm not blaming anyone except myself but I still need some help. I had to backup a day and let windows use a earlier backup of registry. Now I can't seem to get the trial version to come up properly. It tells me to re-install but I did that and got the same message. Should I do it again? or what. The counter keeps resetting to 50, is that whats confusing it? It should be down around 45 or so.

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

I'm not quite sure what you've done ... :) ... but try uninstalling and rebooting. Then install

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. Valkyri001

:DHi Wayne! Thought I had already done that, guess not because this time everything seems to be OK!
    o_OWhats UDP?
    o_OI seem to have more sockets now that I have my other machine up. Is this correct?
    o_OWill I eventually need Reg's for all machines, even the ones that are not directly connected? ( ICS ) or just for the two that are direct connect.
    One must keep a modem for emergency.
    I'm thinking PE on the main to keep things in, and PE on the Remote wireless desktop, none on the other two. o_ODoes that make sense.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you are running ICS and your other machines connect to the internet from your main machine then you only need PE on your main machine.

UDP - Short for User Datagram Protocol, a connectionless protocol that, like TCP, runs on top of IP networks. Unlike TCP/IP, UDP/IP provides very few error recovery services, offering instead a direct way to send and receive datagrams over an IP network. It's used primarily for broadcasting messages over a network.

Read the help file :)

HTH Pilli

5. Valkyri001

;)Thanks Pilli! I'll get right on it!
    o_OI read somewhere in one of the threads that I don't have to keep PE on all the time, but my system only shows 1meg mem less with running, has this been your experience or am I seeing something else. It also seem to drop my free resources app. 3%. That doesn't seem to much to me. Also after I get the full vers, I'm not sure I understand that sloader part.
    Can't I just turn off/block sockets and leave them that way. I really think that I'd like to know whats on and who's there for a limited amount of traffic. PE is going to do that for me, right?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Val, Most ppl leave it on and in the sys tray, it uses quite a small amount of recources & you can limit the logging in the settings menu moreover you can also click the "Reduce memory usage" setting.
    Individual sockets can be killed or disabled except for sustem sockets nad one would not usually want to kill or disable localhost sockets.

HTH Pilli.

7. Valkyri001

;)Don't kill Localhost! Ok!
    I'm in the process of purchasing(what i can afford)but I'm not sure I get this sloader part. Is that a necessary part right away or can I learn the basics of PE first.
    Without worry?

8. Valkyri001

:)Almost forgot!
    I have a linksys 4 port, 2 direct 2 remote, using 3 of them 1 direct, 2 remote.
    This means i'll eventualy need three license? correct.
    As I'm short on funds, 1 will be best for now, will it help or see the other two in the mean time?
    I'm thinking so far that all I have to do is keep stuff IN.
    Especially on the Main, but if I download to this machine with the licensed copy can I put it on the Main from here?
    Do I have to download directly to the Main?

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes, You will need three licences $60 though there may be an extra discount on that if you use more of DCS's products - Check with support@diamondcs.com.au

I should leave Sloader alone for the time being until you are familiar with what PE actually does :)

You do not have to download directly yo main, but you will have to put the keyfile in the main PE folder when you receive it from DCS.

10. Valkyri001

;)OK! one for now (still learning) I understand that to mean, license each attached port, this correct? Which in turn means I'll eventually need four licenses. One is not connected at this time because it has our future on it. Gotta learn how to protect it before I'm ever gonna connect it again.
    Thank You Very much for your help.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

For each PC that the software has PE loaded on - The price decreases as you buy more licences + any special disounts you may be given. :)

12. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

You can need too to let Port Explorer loaded and running in the systray if you managed to restrict bandwitdh for particular processes, i think (thought i didn't try inthis way) that the limit wouldn't still be active if Port Explorer is down.

You can let PE running even just to keep an eye on your network connections, nothing wrong with that unless you have a very very old computer which have very few ressources available.

Enjoy Port Explorer ;)

13. Valkyri001

;)Thanks Gk! I really don't worry about resources until I start my CADD programs, but then I'm not online while I'm doing that so everything gets turned off. I've caught this machine down to 31% before and still running. I don't know how low it will actually get before it will stop.

14. Valkyri001

Checks in the mail, can only afford one and since it probably won't be here before I get back from work, I hope I don't run into problems with it in May. Atleast I'll know where to come for help!

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well done Val, I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

Enjoy your weekend!

16. Valkyri001

:D Hi Folks!! I'm back. Probably thought you'd never see me again. It was a long tour, and I'm due to go back soon, again. I'll be home for Christmas this year for sure. I'll try to get updated info as quick as possible.
    As I see it, last thing I did was download the trial vers, and mail a check to Diamond. Then I left home. Where do I go now to get the key to open or unlock the trial vers. of Port Explorer? :doubt:

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again.
    If all is ok, you should have received an email with key and instructions.
    This will mean to download the full version and some more complicated things to do, all is in the registration email.
    Good luck and have fun with it!

18. Valkyri001

:oops: Is there a way to have them send the E-Mail again as the last mail I have from DCS is a member registration. Quite old! It's possible that in my absence the mail was returned as undeliverable. My family shuts down my machine for storms and other variables from time to time. Perhaps we could decipher this by other means, I'm open for suggestions, I know this is my screw up, but I'd sure appreciate any help.

19. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Send an email to support with your registered email address or name so we can locate what you need and send it to you :)

20. Valkyri001

:cool: :cool: :cool: No Problem Thanks!!! :D :D :D
    I believe it's on it's way. Thanks!! :doubt:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  21. Valkyri001

:D I knew they could handle this!
    Now for a quick question: o_O If I download to my machine, get comfortable with PE, and then want to move it to the Main Machine, which is where it will go eventually anyway, can I do that without much problem?
    Or? Will I just have to get another license later for that machine. I don't plan on having it ( PE ) run on any other machine. Just the one main that is Local Connection. o_O
    Did I say that right?

22. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes, You can uninstall PE from the machine it is on and then re-install it on your Main, connected machine.
    Remeber you will have to move the keyfile to the PE folder in the connected machine.

HTH Pilli

23. Valkyri001

:) I do believe we're on the same track. Doesn't sound to difficult. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.