Porteus Live USB loaded to RAM-impressed by speed

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by roark37, Jan 4, 2016.

1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, over the weekend I tried Porteus Live USB with the copy to RAM option. Very impressed as I did it on the "best" laptop I have which is only a several year old Windows 7 with celeron processor and 4 gig of ram model that was only $250 new when I bought it. So hardly state of the art but using Porteus Live copied to ram it seemed very fast and web browsing was great using Chrome. I did an Octane test and got 11100 which may not seem very high but the laptop using Windows 7 using only gets around 7500 so it was a fairly large improvement. Anyway are there other live linux usb's that would also be this fast or faster? Also, with the specs of my laptop am I right in thinking that since running live into RAM the laptop processor played no role so even if I had I7 with same RAM it would not make any difference in live mode right? But would having more than 4gig ram make a difference in terms of live performance? Thanks.

2. ussyrsu

ussyrsu Registered Member

"Anyway are there other live linux usb's that would also be this fast or faster?"

AUSTRUMI v3.3.4

3. azrielle

azrielle Registered Member

4. inka

inka Registered Member

Yes, many other live distros support the toram boot option.
    Given the same window manager, desktop environment, and browser... any of 'em are equally speedy.
    Based on my experience, no. Can't guess what programs you'll be running though.

The sole memory-limited scenario I've encountered is using Audacity editor. With every edit operation, Audacity saves "another copy of" the media file (so that you can step backward, perform multiple "undo" operations). When working with large files, and / or after performing MANY edits, the undo cache can grow to beyond available RAM ~~ spilling over into swap (aka 'virtual memory') if a swap partition is available. Can avoid this scenario by periodically closing audacity (might also eyeball /tmp to verify that audacity successfully removes those "working copies") then relaunching it.
    Right? Not necessarily. I'd expect a beefier CPU _would_ yield a significantly highter Octane benchmarking score. Then again, I'm not intimately familiar with whatall tests Octane performs. On your hardware, possibly the (absence of a dedicated) GPU is the benchmark limiting factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.