portable hard drive dead ? now what?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by acr1965, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a Western Digital portable hard drive that is no longer recognized by computers. I've plugged it into 3 different computers and none recognize it. When plugged into a computer for the first time there is no pop up about a driver being installed. The light on the case comes on when plugged into a power outlet but that's about it, no flashing lights showing the portable hard drive is active. Are there some ways to see if the portable hard drive is dead and, if so, are there any ways to recover the contents (about 200 GB of pictures, documents, videos) ??

thanks

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Just take it out of the external drive case and plug it into your computer case to see if it is working, and please make regular backups.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

How old was the HDD?
    You guys are scaring me with these threads!!

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

the portable hard drive is maybe 2 years old...bought it new

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's quite possible that the actual USB interface has died. I came across this recently on an external hard drive - the light did come on, but the drive itself would not power up. I removed the hard drive from its case and it worked fine when used with my own USB hard drive interface. An external hard drive is just a regular desktop or laptop hard drive in a case with a USB interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.