Portable Firefox browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Not sure where this should go. This morning on the radio I heard Kim Komando talk abouta FF portable version, but so far I have not found it. The discussion revolved around the bookmarks when you do not have access to your machine.

I can solve that problem, but curious about the portable FF to be used on a thumbdrive. When I googled it, there were some sites that indicated it could be downloaded there, but none were Mozilla.

Anyone know where to get it, and any experience using it?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Great little app. Works as advertised. Have it on all 3 of my thumb drives and it will be added to my 4th 4 gig when it arrives.
    It is not available through Mozilla. I believe this would be considered the official download site.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi ThunderZ,

Thanks for the link and info. I am downloading it now. I assume you put it on a thumbdrive, and when on a public computer you would just install the thumbdrive, call it up, start FF and us it from there. Is that correct?

I assume you can import the Bookmarks, passwords, etc.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes you just start Fx from the thumbdrive.

And yes you can import bookmarks, passwords, etc.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I installed it on the thumbdrive, and it opens OK.
    However the Help file directed that if I wanted to copy local settings I should,

quote"Your local Firefox profile is usually installed in C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.o_O\ Just copy the contents of that folder (except the cache directories) to the FirefoxPortable\Data\profile directory. Then, and this is important, delete the file FirefoxPortableSettings.ini within the FirefoxPortable\Data\settings directory, if there is one."end quote

I do not have any \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles under application data. Where else would it be?
    I am getting sleepy.:eek:

Thanks,
    Jerry

6. ThunderZ

Try C:\Program Files \Mozilla Firefox\defaults. I set my thumb drives up differently, liter, then on my tower so I did not use that method. Sorry I can not be of more help.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, it is there, but scripts seemed to cause a problem. However, since I have imported my bookmarks, and all is working well, I am not concerned. I am a little curious why it is not in doc and settings by default.

Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Jerry

8. ThunderZ

I have read several articles through out the Net that it is not uncommon for it to be located differently from install to install. I have just never dug into the reason(s) why.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. I also note that it is also not there on my laptop.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. ThunderZ

Mine is also located in the C:\Program Files location. Have not fired up my lap top or looked at the Mrs. PC. Curious? :rolleyes: Yes. Anything to worry about? o_O I do`t believe so. Perhaps check out their Support Forum I am sure they will shed some light on it.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I also do not think is is a problem, but just a matter of curiosity. The Support Forum is an excellent suggestion.
    Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.