Portable file/folder encryption question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by constantine76, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Quick question though some explanation may be necessary. A friend at her office needs to secure her files in the office. Now I was to recommend TrueCrypt but at their office her computer requires admin rights. The OS is XP by the way.

Is there a file/folder encryption that is portable that need not have admin rights to run?

I remember from an old post that there is a tool here that is "TheVault" but am not familiar with it but as I do not know wether this is underdeveloped or gone the way of the dinousaurs or..

The idea is that she needs to lock/encrypt her files in My Documents. Maybe a utility that is portable that can do the job that can bypass admin rights or not need admoin rights...? This is possible right..?

In the meantim she is just denying accees to the folder via the properties of the folder.

Can you enlighten me on this please.

Thank you :)

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

3. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

I saw an AxCrypt2Go.exe there at the AxCrypt webiste but they recommend the installer version. But I doubt that it can run from a usb stick without admin rights blocking it.

A pal here gave me a link for TrueCrypt portable but I see in the documentation that the pc that you will be plugging the usb needs to have TrueCrypt installed because of the driver it needs.

I have what you mentioned "Vault" but never used it :) It also requires admin rights to run.

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have never used the 2Go version. However, I believe they are recommending the installed version FOR DAY-TO_DAY USE because you get nice features when you install it such as right-click integration, which I'm sure you do not get with the 2GO version.

I don't know if you need admin rights with 2GO, only way to find out is to try.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Okay - curiosity killed the cat - so I did a little work here.

I downloaded the 2GO program and used it in a guest account - so there is no need for admin rights. It worked on a small test file.

HOWEVER, if you click on help in the program, you receive a warning this program is alpha (pre-beta) and you should use at your own risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.