port scans

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by naeblis, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naeblis

naeblis Registered Member

Hi, I'm hoping to get some help from some people more knowledgeble than me. Over about the past 10 days i hjave had numerous port scans from china and kora it seems. All blocked by my firewall, as far as i can tell. They have been coming about 2-3 day on avg. Not sure what this means or what to do about it. Any advise appreciated.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

This is internet. Using a firewall, you will notice it. Since your firewall detects it, you are protected. So don't fear.

Make sure the firewall is configured correctly, by visiting grc.com (do a shields up test) or pcflank.com. When these sites have no comments, you're safe. If not, fix your system settings or report back here.

3. naeblis

naeblis Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I ran those tests and all was good, but still i am concerned. Never had port scan attempt before, now 100 in 10 days. Why now. Had like 3 attempts in past 2 hours.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Those port scans are really pretty common. As long as your firewall is blocking there is not much to worry about.

thanks bigc

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi naeblis

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Where have you been hiding not to have seen any port scans/firewall events being logged?

Everyone will experience different levels of this acitivity, but it is not unusual for me to see anywhere from several hundred to over a thousand in a day.

One site you can check out that tracks trends is the Internet Storm Center if you interested in what everyone else is seeing.

Regards,

CrazyM

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

The attached sample of the amount of blocked inbound traffic I might normally see is from a database from last month covering 3 days. Total of 2503 events.

Regards,

CrazyM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  7. shelobo

shelobo Registered Member

As Long as your f/w seems to be blocking them,shouldnt worry,some of the scans could be what some call "traffic" from sites that you have been to or just a lotta noise from net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.