Port Explorer still inactive?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by muf, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

This thread explains all.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18563

Can you give an indication of when it will be sorted. I am in the position of not knowing if it's the key or the unlock code that is the problem. Either way, i can not use PE. I know you have only just returned to work, but it would be nice to know something is being done. :)

Many thanks,
    muf

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again Muf, i'm sure there are people working on it to sort it all out as quick as possible; fortunately Perth is a whole workingday advanced to us and you might find the email when you are still asleep. Fingers crossed for you!

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

muf, check your private messages for unlock code etc. :)

Best regards,
    Wayne

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Wayne, got the new key file and unlock code. Everything working fine now. Thank you so much. :)

Best regards,
    muf

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Glad it all works now!

6. Wayne B

Wayne B Registered Member

Wish mine could be solved. Gavin asked me to send him and email directly, but he doesn't have an email address showing in his profile. Anyway I will send one to you and copy Paul Wilder in like he has asked me to.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wayne, you emailed me three times private now and all my email replies to you are received, so that email i forwarded to support@diamondcs.com.au.
    You confirmed Gavin's former emails and registration emails with keyfiles were received too.
    I'm surprised though, as your email headers to me contain nowhere the IP and mindspring you mentioned in other emails ans which Gavin is quoting.
    If you use a different email which is working properly you might like to tell so to the DCS administration.

8. Wayne B

The emails through my usual email were working fine. I got Gavin's new file and tried it.

It did not work. I still had the same problem. I couldn't find a new key so I used the one from before.

Then I uninstalled it and downloaded it. That showed a new key. When I installed the download and use that key I still have the same problem.

I sent an email through my email account that I recieved your reply and Gavin's file from, but have not heard back.

You should have my email from yesterdays messages if you need it. That email account should be on file with DSC.

That is what I have register everythings with.

9. Wayne B

I have been rejecting msmsgs.exe and ctpmon.exe registry entries. I disabled msmsgs.exe in msconfig like you suggested and blocked it in my firewall program area.

I reject a blank entry that comes up sometimes. DCS entries have always been identified and I have approved those.

I downloaded regprot to block stuff I do not want.

I think the ctpmon.exe is something from Creative for my Audigy 2 sound card.

I don't think this would interfere with Port Explorer. The demo is still working.

I am bringing it up just in case it might be affecting it somehow.

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

I saved your emails as .EML and zipped them, then sent them from a temporary web account. You received these ?

Your PE key is included in those emails and is NEW. The old key will not work anymore, so please get rid of any old ones you might have. Only use the key and information emailed yesterday

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Mind if you're installing PE you first uninstall the demo if that is not done with the PE installation and make sure you reboot before installing the full version.
    You must have all av/at and most certainly regprotection closed before installing PE.

12. Wayne B

I will try again tonight after work. There was a key in the Cryptosuite email, but I don't think that was for Port Explorer. I didn't see one in the Port Explorer email. I will check again though. The key when downloading it had changed, but I don't know if that was the same as the key Gavin tried to give me.

Another question on security of email.

I deleted the emails you sent on this after copying the information and moving it and attachments to safe places. Would it be good to shred the email also and/or the attachments? If so where would the email and attachment files be so that I could shred them?

I use Outlook and Windows XP Pro. We sometimes use Outlook Express. I know Outlook has a pst file and Outlook Express has a file buried in the file system. I don't know if there would be a way to shred one email in that file of if the shred it automatically when the deletion file is emptied.

The attachments are probably in a temp file somewhere. I guess I could search for those.

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Not sure about securely deleting an email inside a .pst file but there is a mail box clean up within Outlook proper and a compact menu within Outlook Express.
    The attachments in a temp file can be securely deleted by CryptoSuite - Just right click on the file and select secure delete from the CS menu.

BTW outlook expresses files are .dbx etc & found in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{9DFD1E24-69C8-4F30-B785-514504CD9CB7}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I suppose after you have deleted individual emails in a file any remnants could be cleared using Crypto Suite's "Clear free space" but you will lose your restore points in XP by doing so. :)

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

But do make sure your copies of the emails and the attachments are really ok and readable before deleting the originals after all the trouble Gavin had getting them to you!

15. Wayne B

I still have the original zip file with all the information in it. My internet was not working for a while tonight, so I haven't been able to work on that yet. Thanks for keeping in touch.

I checked that email again and it only has the member area password in it.

I have used the key from the member area with a downloaded file. I can do that because Port Explorer shows as registered in the members area. I have tried that and still have the same problem.

I will try that again tonight and let you know if it works.

Still the same.

What should happen after I enter the key and press enter?

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wayne honestly said i lost my way completely with all you are doing.
    Also with the emails as i received your emails properly and you my replies with the email address you used for me so i'm completely in the dark about the bouncing email story and why that was another address then you seemed to be using for support as i see in Gavin's determination in one message here (very different IP to start with)

You have three programs, three keyfiles, three registration emails, one unlock code.

The three programs are downloaded and installed.
    In TDS you dropped the keyfile and unzipped or renamed it and it worked, showing you registered version and you can update etc.
    So save a kopy of that keyfile and of the registration email to a diskette or other removable medium which will not stay in the computer.

WormGuard same story, installed, drop keyfile in it, maybe rename or unzip keyfile and it shows registered or keeps telling unregistered but it is.
    Save copy of keyfile to that diskette and copy your email there. Ready.

Cryptosuite same story.
    Install - keyfile - copy keyfile and separate the registration email on the diskette.

Was there Process Guard too?
    If so, same story.

Now PE. You properly uninstalled the demo, rebooted, installed the full version.
    At a certain moment you got a keyfile to put in that, and at another moment you got another keyfile to replace the first. All you had to do was put the new keyfile in the PE directory.
    And the next thing after reboot was to type the NEW unlock code from your members area which belongs to your NEW key in where PE asks for it.
    That is all there is, and don't mix old key and old unlock code with the new ones.

17. Gavin - DiamondCS

You are still using the OLD PE key.. thats the ONLY way anything can be wrong. You do have the 3 emails I zipped and sent. In there, open Port Explorer's email and it has a port.zip attached. Double click THAT and it.. opens in Winzip ? Click extract, then find your PE folder, click extract and say YES to overwrite

Now your code works when you run PE :)

18. Wayne B

I have put the PORT.PKF file you sent me and moved it to the Port Explorer folder under Program Files. I have even moved the files out of the Port Explorer file and rebuilt them with the downloaded file from the members area, then put your PORT.PKF in there.

Sometimes I have forgot to move the PORT.PKF and the shortcut key tells me to move it.

I use the unlock key from the members area and press enter. Nothing happens.

I have not used the old unlock key lately.

I sent the mail.zip file that Gavin sent me back to your support earlier today so they could be sure the PORT.PKF file is ok.

I have tried this on a different computer and it will not work.

I have an old computer with a different operating system. I will try to install it there.

What does the full version do that the demo does not do? Knowing that might help us to deduct what the problem could be.

The demo version works fine.

19. Wayne B

I tried to install Port Explorer on the old computer with a different operating system. Same problem. Hopefully your support can check the port.pkf in mail.zip that I retured. It is the same file a got from Gavin.

20. Wayne B

I did not here from support today. I probably just need another file. That one probably got corrupted. Please let me know.

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi WayneB, Support for keyfiles will resume Monday morning Perth time after the weekend break. Hopefully they will get to the root of the problem then :)

22. Gavin - DiamondCS

I did test the keyfile from the email you sent back, and it works fine. Still using the old one ? Extract it again and overwrite to be sure, then you cant go wrong. The unlock code I emailed you as well I think just in case :)

Please note that your unlock code changed when I made you a new key. If I do happen to make you another new key then discard any old PE email port.zip port.pkf anything you have, and just keep the downloaded installer. Then we wont go through this again :)

23. Wayne B

I sent an email to your support early yesterday morning explaining that the current unlock code does not work. I have tried the old and the new unlock codes. Neither works. The unlock code from the members area does not work.

I have tried this on a computer that never had any DiamondCS software on it and it will not work.

I install the full version of Port Explorer and reboot. Then I move the port.pkf file to the Port Explorer folder under the Program Files folder. When I run the program a window comes up asking for the unlock code. I enter it and nothing happens. I run the Port Explorer program again and it asks for the unlock code again.

I have copied the code from the members area, entered it in lower case, entered it in upper case. I have tried the old unlock code and the current one. Nothing works. It is always the same result. I have tried this on three different computers. Two with XP Pro and one with Windows 98. Always the same result.

The demo version works fine.

I asked what is different about the demo version and the full version so that we could get a start at tracing the problem.

I did not here from DiamondCS support today since it is Monday and they should have been back today.

Please don't ask me to keep trying this. I have probably tried it 30 times with every variation I could think of.

24. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Could it be your system restore at reboot goes back each time to a former situation from before PE was properly installed at all and changes back registry settings?

25. Wayne B

I'm sure numerous people have installed PE on Windows. Why would I be the only one with this problem? System restore resetting the values would be a problem with Windows. I don't think anyone has had this problem before, judging from your responces.

I wondered if some of the other DiamondCS software was interfering, but the Windows 98 system I installed it on did not have any.

I think it would have to be something unique to my systems, but I can't think what it could be. I have dissabled System Works and Internet Security while I installed it and that did not make a difference. I made sure the XP firewall was not on.

This is a good point to consider. I will continue to think on it. If anyone thinks of any ideas please let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.