Port Explorer is for what?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by little eagle, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little eagle

little eagle Registered Member

Dont want to soud dum :oops:guess its to late for that but what is PE to be used foro_O I got this lexpps exe?no idea what it is or what it means I guess when I pinged it it's Kinda like sonnar? I mean really for us that aren't PC geaks ;)what would I ever use this for..... http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Dunno.gif

2. Minera

Minera Registered Member

Hi Little Eagle:
    The lex is for your Lexmark hardware (probably your printer) and its checking in with homebase. Took me a while to figure that one out too.LOL.
    PE checks your ports and tells who ,where and what is connected to the ports in use. Kinda like checking who goes in or out of your computer and what their purpose is etc. A 'port bouncer' hehe.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi guys, if you rightclick on an application you have a choice "what is ...." that application/process name, from where in most cases you will recognise it with it's full path name.

4. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi Little Eagle,
    A bit more on the Lexxpps.exe file. If you do a GOOGLE search on this file, on the first page displayed you will see "Task List Programs" click on this it will take you to "Answersthatwork" website, a very helpful site, it explains most files found on your computer, (also tells you how to disable it.)

5. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

o_OI'm pretty sure this is where to ask this.
    o_OPE is watching the ports, someone mentioned locking them. Whats that? I just think I know?
    o_OIf I'm online say here, Why would I need to lock my ports?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well here's a couple of ideas to throw at you :) How about if you had spyware trying to phone home or a Trojan using your machine as a bot. There is malware out there that likes to bypass your firewall or you may have inadvertantly given something permission, with PE you can see these events and stop them whilst you investigate the cause.

If you monitor what goes on for a while with PE you will soon learn to recognise unusual events and take the necessary actions.

7. Valkyri001

:DThanks Pilli!
    o_ODoes PE need anything else to run along side it?
    Or will it be enough for awhile. I'm still taking baby steps and trying to learn at SWI.
    Seems the more I know the more I need.

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you tell us what security measures you are taking at the moment ie. software etc. Then I am sure you will get some very helpful suggestions. ;)

9. Valkyri001

;)Duh! wake up Val! As for firewalls only the built in Linksys firmware (updated from linksys site) really don't know what it's doing. Other securities are HJT, SB S&D, SpyBlaster, SpyGaurd, EzAV. Don't like Ez's Firewall cause I don't know enough ( how to use ) about it yet.
    RoadRunner Medic. Keep forgetting to give pertinent info when asking Q's. Sorry!
    Thanks!

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Val, First thing to do is to make sure you have all the latest security patches for your operating system.

You have a linksys router, this will stop unwanted inbound connections but will not stop outgoing connections. So either learn how to use EZ's offering (of which I know nothing) or Get something like Zone Alarm free or Kerio 4, I am trialling firewalls at the moment and Kerio is secure on startup and will ask you when anything wants to get out :)

Your AV is probably OK but for Trojans you need TDS3 it is simple to use initially and as complex as you want if you want to learn al of it's functions.

WormGuard will protect you against worms, malicious scrips etc

Process Gaurd protects your processes from being hijacked without the need for daily updates and protects against many keyloggers, rootkit type Trojans etc.

CryptoSuite allows you toeasily encrypt your private data in a very secure manner

Read through the DCS site www.diamondcs.com.au and look at what each programme is capable of doing including the many free programmes there.

Well that's a start, I am sure more will follow. :D

11. Valkyri001

:)Ok! I have all latest updates for all software, and I figure I'm going to load as much as I can, until the system slows down so much its crawling, then I'll worry about who/what is doing it. Can you give me any leads there as to which ones use the most resources or any of those that you mentioned. Next stop is DiamondCS.
    OT question? Are they the same Diamond that use to do Modems WBackW?
    Thanks for all your help!! ;)

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

DiamondCS is the developer of Por Explorer. ;) They are small indepenant company based in Perth, Australia.

Look & Stop firewall & Agnitum's Outpost 2 both use very low system resources. I use Outpost on my Server 2003. L & S have theier forum's here at Wilders, check them out.

All DCS products use low resources, TDS3, when doing a full scan, uses a lot of resources but then so does any scanner that is doing a proper & thorough job. Most ppl schedule a full scan weekly for when they are away from their machines ;)
    With TDS3's Executive Protection (the resident part) installed and TDS sitting on your task bar uses very little resources.

As far as AntiVirus goes NOD32 is a good compliment to TDS3.

Always remember that security is always better using a layered approach. :)

13. Valkyri001

;)Hey! Thanks! I'm going to use the trial version this morning and see if I can understand it, PE that is. As soon as I get my machine all up and running. Everytime I push the button it's a new adventure.
    :DI think in someway I'm helping M$ learn all they can about IE6.
    Example: Yesterday, loaded two more programs, everything was fine. Reboots and all scanned, checked every program on the machine. No problems!!! Yeah hoorah for Me!
    NOT!!! this morning the machine sent (7) seven reports to M$ two seconds after I started to login.
    Cool Huh? I love this stuff!!!!

14. little eagle

Don't like doing plugs. ;)but if you get the action pack like I did I don't think you will be disapointed..other than a few miner tweakes that I had to do.It seamed to be well worth the $$. :DJust didn't realize that when I got this PC how much the insurance washttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Eeeeeek.gif

15. Valkyri001

:oops:Sorry LittleEagle! but I just thought we had a common Question. I can think of another way to ask, I hope you don't mind. I think we're both on the same track.

16. little eagle

don't mind at all. I really don't understand all the things that PE can be used for :Dso any points on how to use it would really help. o_O

17. Valkyri001

:DThanks Little Eagle! I just learned not to turn of my connection! Really wierd stuff happened! :D
    Like you say, I don't know yet either, but you just gotta love it!

18. little eagle

o_Odo you just watch PE on the monitor?and if so for how long.....or is thier a way for U 2 get a log of what happenedhttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Scratch-Head.gif

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

To add to the discussion so far:

What happened when you closed your connection then?
    PE would close displaying all connections with the outside world i guess?
    Or just putting them on local host local and remote?

Longs can you make when you enable logging PE > Settings > Window logging and File logging. Best put both on the lowest value.
    You can enable spying on packets, f.e. your firewall or IE or something weird. Add the process to the socket spy and let it run a few minutes to see results in the packets.
    Don't leave that on for long time on busy sockets/processes as the capture.bin (see in the PE directory) can grow tremendously, so either empty it or close it and remove it or save it away under another name in the directory if you really want to analyse it another time in future -- next time you start spying a new one will be cfreated.

Once you register PE you also can get sloader for free which enables you to spy on processes after reboot before they even started, so you can see immediately if processes might be communicating, etc. for instance the firewall and av/at calling home if there are updates, etc.

20. Valkyri001

:(Ie locked, then my machine rebooted twice, allby itself, and then came the critical fault that wouldn't go away by itself. When I shut it down and let scandisk do its thing it all came back up as if nothing ever happened. This time I was way more careful clicking on stuff. :D
    I call it getting a feel for it! Oh! and I crashed my hardwired one too messing with settings. ICS settings that is, guess I'm trying to break it. Not really!

21. Valkyri001

:DHi little eagle!
    I found that logging file. Its under settings, very big, didn't know what to do with it. Must be for the experts to help you figure things out. Looked extensive to me.

22. little eagle

:eek:already registered so how do I get sloader o_Oor is it enabled when I put the key in..?

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sloader is in your members area for PE at the download page. Hope you like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.