Port 80 open

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by shoe, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoe

shoe Registered Member

I am runnind Win 7 Ultimate Actiontec GT701D DSL Modem Dlink DIR601 router.
    All is stealth except for Port 80.
    If I reboot the router and modem all ports are stealth.
    Shut down for the day and reboot port 80 0pen again so I reboot router and modem and all are stealth again.
    Is there a fix for this?
    Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Port 80 open reported by what util?

3. shoe

shoe Registered Member

Shields Up

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Did you check the router settings in case you have something enabled that keeps the port open (maybe remote assistance etc.)

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Yes, most likely Shields Up is reporting TCP 80 as open because TCP 80 is open for the public NAT on the router itself, not on your local PC. Make sure that you do not have Remote Administration enabled, as most consumer routers are configurable via a web admin page. By default most only allow access to the admin web page from the internal-side private IP of the router, not from the public IP side... however this is also usually configurable as some people choose to allow admin access from the public side (although not recommended).

If remote web admin is not enabled, then it may be either port forwarding or virtual server functionality. In this case many home routers allow one to configure inbound access to a given port on the public NAT to be forwarded to an internal device. Make sure that you do not have any forwarders enabled unless you purposely intend to have them enabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.