Poor AntiSpam Functionality

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by appster, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appster

appster Registered Member

I am running the final RC version of ESS and I'm very disappointed in the effectiveness of its antispam module with both of my email clients!

My email clients are Outlook 2007 on my desktop and Outlook Express on my laptop. While ESS' antispam is working, it doesn't seem to 'learn' what is or isn't spam as I repeatedly get email from the same spammers... I 'tell' ESS an email is spam by clicking on the Spam button and it then moves the email to my junk folder, but within a few days I receive more email from the same spammer in my inbox! :doubt:

Unless this poor antispam functionality has been improved in the newly released version, I would hesitate to buy it.

2. JohnPlayer

JohnPlayer Registered Member

There is a Blacklist you can use.

3. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Some filters (Bayesian etc) need 100's of samples to set scoring points.
    They also may need both spam & ham marked.
    Also spam mails from the same sender can be different in content (text/gif etc)

4. appster

I'm aware of it, but that requires quite of bit of ongoing effort - which shouldn't be necessary!

5. appster

No doubt, but just as a comparison I've been running a trial of CA Internet Secuity Suite on another PC (for about the same length of time) and I'm finding its antispam filtering is far more effective than ESS (it's no contest)!

6. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

7. DavidCo

appster
    I am not using ESS at nor V3 AV yet.
    What anti-spam does ESS use.
    If it is a 3rd party plugin (I seem to remember hearing 'CloudMark'?) then you are not in charge.

I use spamassasin on my mailserver so I am in charge of the scoring.

8. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

Where do you get this blacklist and how do you use it? I would've thought a blacklist was very subjective as one person's spam might be another person's mailing list.

9. DavidCo

Blacklists are no good for spammers as the spammers are changing the 'sent address' all the time.
    Spoofing/relays et - al.
    You create your own blacklist of people/companies/domains etc that you do not want to see anymore.

10. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

11. appster

While that may be true when compared to Outlook Express, TB no substitute for Outlook!

12. madgri

madgri Registered Member

I've been a NOD32 fanatic for years, and as soon as ESS was released I installed it. I've had no problems with its modules but the anti-spam one. I've found that,

1.- As indicated here, even though I mark a certain e-mail address as spam, next day I got same message in my Outlook 2003 inbox.

2.- It doesn't provide a way to import black list, and I have a very large one I created under Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail.

3.- Even though it uses black list, I haven't discovered where it hides it and therefore I cannot backup it. So, if for any reason I had to reinstall the program, I suppose I'll have to start balck list from scratch.

4.- Its toolbar doesn't keep the position I want it to occupy in my Outlook, so I have to move it any time I start Outlook 2003.

Someone said in this forum that this anti-spam module was written by ESET but by somebody else, and it seems to be true because the ESS anti-spam is not as good as, for instance, SPAMFIGHTER, and it's a pity. It really doesn't behave or look like an ESET product.

If someone knows a remedy dor some of above, I'll appreciate to be informed about.

13. Board Room

Board Room Registered Member

Just wanted to add my two peas worth to the thread...

Yes Ive found the AS function pretty disappointing so far.

One of the most effective AS components Ive come across is the one contained within the Zone Alarm Secuirty Suite. Works extremely well from the outset and doesnt require any "training" in order to become effective. Cant recall off hand who make it for ZA or if its avaibale as a standalone component but hope SS's AS will become as good as that.

As has already been mentioned, blacklisting spam is a complete waste of time due to the changing senders info.

B R

14. madgri

madgri Registered Member

Re: Poor ESS configuration functionality

Another thing that I don't like.

Due to the mentioned poor performance, I decided not to use the ESS Anti-Spam module, but instead a combination of SPAMfighter (free version) plus Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail, a duo that works fine, at least for me.

Therefore I've tried not to install the ESS Anti-Spam module, but no way: I discovered that ESS doesn't offered that option like it does, for instance, System Mechanic Pro 7, that allows you not to install the anti-virus module, the fierwall module, etc.. So I had to merely disabling the ESS Anti-Spam module.

15. s4u

s4u Registered Member

It is just a plain anti spam. So it really needs a lot of training. I'm using k9 next to it. I'm training both at the same time.

16. rothko

rothko Registered Member

i've actually found the antispam very good on my junk mail. i use thunderbird as my default mail client, but wanted to see how ESS performed in this area seeing as i would be paying for this module and not using it.

so i set up outlook express to check (and not delete) mail from my accounts, works a charm. very effective in getting rid of the junk and equally good at not marking genuine emails as spam. plus it's fast at the job too.

i guess it depends on the type of junk you receive, so i appreciate it wont be working this well for everyone. the only problem i have is that i will be paying for a suite that contains 3 modules and only using 2, unless thunderbird is made compatible with ess antispam in the future.

17. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I'm using the latest build of ESS and I find it to be very innefective filtering out spam in Outlook 2007. I was going to start a thread to ask the following question, but a search revealed this thread which is topical.

Does ESS' anti-spam emply Bayesian filtering? ...I ask because I don't see any way to train it (I only see provisions for adding to white and black lists)!

Thanks for any feedback and Merry Xmas.

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it includes Bayesian filtering . If intergration with Outlook is enabled you show see SPAM and NOT SPAM buttons in the ESET toolbox . You can also right click the message and choose your opinion about what the message is . The program also includes white and blacklists.

19. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Yes, I do have those buttons in Outlook 2007 and I use them all of the time, but doing so doesn't seem to train the spam filter as I keep getting a large amount of the same types of spam messages every day!

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

21. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

With all due respect and good will on this holy day, what does that have to do with ESS' anti-spam effectiveness? o_O
    ...and fwiw my Outlook 2007 is up to date!

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Nothing . This just updates Office Outlook so that it helps in Anti-SPAM fight , too .

Talking about anti-SPAM is more or less similar to talking about anti-virus effectiveness . In one's eyes ESS will work briliantly , for someone else's it will not work that good . There is no antivirus/antimalware that can catch them all (except from Google :D ) so updating Outlook and configuring its SPAM sensitiveness will only help :thumb:

23. Mike Dallwitz

Mike Dallwitz Registered Member

I found this thread because I was wondering why ESS antispam wasn't working. I gathered from the postings that it doesn't work for Thunderbird, and sure enough, I found this in the fine print of the documentation. It wouldn't hurt to make this clear in the setup screen, or disable the setup screen if the email client specified by the user isn't supported for this feature.

I'm not particularly concerned by the feature not working, but I don't like wasting my time because of poor documentation and interface design. Also, the blurb on the Web site doesn't mention that the antispam doesn't work with some (most) email clients.

24. davyc01

davyc01 Registered Member

I use outlook express and i find the spam tool totally ineffective. The first time i launch OE the eset tool bar is greyed out, if I then close OE and restart the buttons are functioning. I have been marking spam for several weeks now and the performance is getting worse.

This and the false positives from the firewall is letting the product down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.