Police take to the cloud

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

http://www.professionalsecurity.co.uk/news/case-studies/police-take-to-the-cloud/

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Apart from the evidential integrity of this information (does it have the right procedures, I doubt it), the thing that screamed out to me about this, and they fail to mention, was automatic face recognition. Various police forces have already been using this in an ad hoc way, pretty uncontrolled as far as I've seen.

I will bet, and likely not get good odds, that spookily enough, automatic face recognition will crawl out of the woodwork, and I'd also bet it was part of the design brief, at least for the future.

They seemed to make much of the fact that the information was in UK data centres, neglecting that, almost certainly, there was a backup in the US, or they route a copy there. Hardly much reassurance, but a token sop to data protection legislation.

It's also spooky that, for all its proclaimed world-leading qualities, the Investigatory Powers Act is completely silent on both ANPR (ALPR) and on face recognition.

A major "feature" of UK law is that there are basically derisory damages for mistaken convictions let alone mistaken arrests - the false positive rates for face recognition are notorious; and there's also the risk that they will keep records of the time & place of all recognised faces - again, un-or-under-regulated, with no easy power to challenge or get redress.

Time to get out my mirrored sunglasses or celebrity mask....

3. kls490

kls490 Registered Member

Well said. Brings to mind the old adage about how "Silence gives assent." :shifty:

Regards everyone.

4. The Count

The Count Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.