Point router as DNS server, or point to actual server?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by singularity2006, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singularity2006

singularity2006 Registered Member

When setting up each computer on a LAN for static IP's, is it more efficient to set the DNS address as the router address or is it better practice to set it to the ISP's actual DNS server?

I personally have always pointed my computer to the router for the DNS because should the DNS ever change, I need not manually set the DNS everywhere - just in the router itself. Although in the least, i noticed i get funny off/on connectivity issues with the net when the PC is pointed to the router for the DNS. But then again, this is only something I realized recently so have been unable to test in the long term. I do not know if changing the DNS from the router to the actual server is related....

ideas?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

For quit some time I used the routers dns (AVM/Fritz!), but noticed also some connectivity issues lately.
    However since about one month I use an other modem/router and use the ISP's dns. Works fine and fast for me and no connectivity issues.

Gerard

3. singularity2006

hmm... thanks for the nfo. I'm gonna try that with my system to see how it goes.

4. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Security Issue re DNS Settings

Please note this advice from the developers of BOClean anti-trojan software:

It has come to our attention that a small number of people have configured their home machines to a hard-configured "DNS setting IP address." From a security standapoint, this is not a good idea as those manual DNS settings are used extensively in malware to redirect victims to places other than where they had intended to surf. It's ALWAYS best to leave your networking configured for DHCP or "get address automatically.

5. singularity2006

that's pretty interesting.... i don't see how a dynamic DNS would help though considering the DNS server address is fixed anyway and would always be the same each time it is requested. Well... anyway, I have it pointing at the router currently and it seems to be working okay....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.