Pls. help me upgrading laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by taytong888, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello,

I have a new Toshiba Satellite laptop with 60 GB hard drive running Windows XP Home. It didn't come with any XP disk. I had to special order a rescue disk but I am not sure if the disk has XP on it. Now I wish to upgrade the hard drive to 120 GB, prior to installing programs. What's the best procedure and hardware to accomplish this, assuming that I will purchase True Image Home 10.0. I also have an external 250 GB hard drive.

I appreciate your advice.

:-*

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Install TI and create an image of your current installation on the external drive. Install the new drive. Boot off the rescue CD and restore the image to the new drive. Have a look at these guides https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=168165. Also look at the links contained here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=29880.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello taytong888,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Note that usually it is not possible to plug to internal hard drive to a laptop at the same time, therefore, the best procedure for upgrading laptop hard drive (replace it with the bigger one) is to follow thomasjk's advice. Namely, install Acronis True Image and create an image of the entire drive (check chapter 5.2.1 "My Computer backup" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide) store it on the external hard drive. Then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD (check chapter 10. "Creating bootable media"). Replace the old drive with the new one. Boot the computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD and restore the image resizing partitions, if necessary (check 6.3 "Restoring disks/partitions or files from images").

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.