please tell me I am wrong, restore from network drive not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by superdoug3, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdoug3

superdoug3 Registered Member

I tested pretty throughly before entering this thread. I then tried to do what I wanted with a six year old version of NTI Backup Now which worked perfectly.

I did a incremental backup of a file on a network drive using Acronis True Image 2009 Home. I tried to restore this backup and it would not restore. I even tried making some very simple changes to a Word document and an Excell spreadsheet to see if the changes were restored and no luck. I even played with the restore settings to get as simple a restore as possible.
    Please tell me that I am wrong on this. The problem seems to be this. The backup lets me backup network drives, but the restore can not see the network drives.
    I have submitted the Acronis report for another problem and my report was never looked at even when I called by land line and got a promise of help. I found a work around for the other problem. And my work around for this problem will be to use NTI BAckup now for my network drive documents.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Would you confirm - which build of TI 2009.

Are you making a files and folders backup or a complete disk/partition image?

Are you backing up via Windows and trying to restore via the rescue CD?

3. superdoug3

well Colin, thank you for the quick response.
    1. ATI2009 Home, I couldn't find an About on Home page, but the most
    current version. My attempt to check for newer version always failed too.
    2. I am using Windows XP SP3 to backup / restore from Buffalo Network drive
    3. Back up and restore of an image to / from network disks works fine, but
    back / restore of user documents to / from network disks only works for
    backup
    4. I tried the same with NTI Backup Now V3.0 from 6 years ago and it
    works just fine.
    5. In the 15 day test period, I tested as much as I could, but never expected this. I got 3 licences today and found this out.

4. superdoug3

Colin, one last thing. I have found the Rescue CD much better for restore of image, but did not think that it was necessary for documents to do this. I will try that method. NTI Backup Now allows me to restore from within Windows XP
    Is Rescue CD to be used in ALL restore operations ?

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Interesting, I'm not sure what the answer to your problem is.

Can you go through what you do to restore just documents?
    Do you get an error message?

are you restoring to original location or a new location.

Have you ticked 'overwrite existing files' ?

Are you able to double click on the file and explore it?

Does it work if you select another folder on your hard drive to backup to?

I don't use Files and Folders, but I've just tried it using build 9796 and backed up a log file to another partition and apart from being extrordinarly slow for a 15KB document, it worked as advertised.

To find your build - press the ALT key and the Help menu will appear and from there the About menu.

For F&F backups, you should be able to accomplish everything in Windows.

For complete disk images, it shouldn't matter whether you start in Windows or the CD for restore operations as from Windows TI will reboot the PC into a Linux environment same as the CD.

The advantage of the CD is that no Windows files can be in a locked state, and of course if your system is 'bung' you need someway of gaining access to the hard drive.

6. superdoug3

Sorry I see your name id Bodgy, I assume you are not an Acronis employee, but a helpful guy.
    1. To restore my documents I
    - browse for my backup (on a network drive folder)
    - select by back up description, this then shows a file, which I select
    - click on the Restore tab at the top of page
    - click button 'original location'
    - tick box for all files (interestingly when I explored the TIB, my files
    on the network drive did not make it) Ah-ha a place to check again.
    - tick box to overwrite existing and take the defaults
    - no options chosen
    - proceed and successful status
    - given that my network files never made it to the TIB file, maybe all
    is working as it should.

2. my build is 9.709
    3. now that I can explore my TIB I see that the problem might be in the creation of the TIB file, I will try that again and watch for anything that I missed
    4. I found restoring an image from Windows did not work, so I use the CD
    5. I found back up of system registry so VERY slow that I do not do this
    6. You don't use F&F backup, but you have given me some tips that I can use to see what I am doing wrong. Backup sees my network drives, but for some reason the files did not make it to my TIB file.
    7. it does not make any sense that Acronis did not test network drives, so it must be me.
    8. I did have a mess in my mapping of drives to drive letters, so this might be the problem. With this fixed, I will start over again.

7. superdoug3

Your name is Bodgy, the joke is on me, thanks Colin.

8. superdoug3

I went back with an eye to the creation of the TIB and found that when I checked 2 user folders (doug's notes and expenses) in my network folder (weekly bkup) when I went back to look at them all the user folders where checked, I reset them and continued. Successful operation status. But when I explore my TIB, again the user folders (doug's notes and expenses) are missing in my TIB.
    I am running all this under windows XP SP3 and Build 9.709 of ATI2009 Home.
    The restore is not the problem but the creation of the TIB is the problem.
    I still must be doing something wrong, I did a quick search of the forum, but found nothing of interest. I will search again tomorrow.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I assume these files are in KB's rather than MB's or GB's in size, so we can rule out the network time out as a problem.

Could you try just making a backup to somewhere different on your hard drive. If you find that this doesn't work either then there is a TI problem.

Might be worth downloading the latest build. You can get it by logging onto your account.

Just had a thought. The folders might not be empty even though they appear so. If you drag the folders back onto your hard drvie from the network, do they suddenly gain content?

10. superdoug3

I will try your suggestions
    BUT found this on forum
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq/scheduled-task/
    which mandates that I use "\\nas1000\other files" on the source selection screen rather than tick a box, how to do I do that ?
    somehow I need to exit the batch file before submitting for processing.

Answers to some of your questions.
    1. my folders (doug's notes and expenses) are kb in size, the prTIB creation takes less than 1 minute and has a successful completion
    2. neither folder (doug's notes or expenses) were found in TIB using explorer

More specifics to the FAQ found on the forum, see above
    3. I am not logged onto Network drive (192.168.0.104) when ATI2009 is trying to do my backup, but I am doing a massive copy from a different folder on my network drive. that is I am trying to backup from folder "\\nas1000\other files" at the same time I am copying from "\\nas1000\bkup" to "\\nas1000\monthly" network folders.

11. superdoug3

assuming the FAQ reference in my previous post is correct, I wonder how it is that NTI Backup Now is able to handle the situation with me just ticking boxes like I do in ATI2009 Home.
    I will try again to get a newer build than 9.709 as you suggested

12. superdoug3

I see the latest build for ATI2009 Home is 9796. I just registered my products today, even when logged onto my account, there does not seem to be anyway to download this build. Maybe I have to wait for a batch overnight update of my account to kick in at head office. I will try again tomorrow. The latest build does not mention fixes to network drive access, and the list of features does not mention network drives either. I am not holding out hope that the latest build will fix my problem. I would like to know how to apply the FAQ from Acronis web site as mentioned above. that is how to type in "\\nas1000\other files" into my acronis unscheduled process. I have done this easily using "map drive letter" in XP SP3. By the way, there was nothing wrong with my drive letter mapping before other than the names did not match up across the different tools like "Network", "map drive" "disconnect mapping" The contents of the folders were consistent. Now the names across all tools match and are usable on all tools.

13. superdoug3

according to Acronis web site, as a licensed user (3) I am entitled to phone support for 30 days. But the web site points me to knowledge base and to forum support, the phone support seems to be pay only.
    the knowledge base on Network drives http://kb.acronis.com/content/1771
    does not really address my issue, which is selecting files from a network drive to backup to a TIB on a network drive. The FAQ in Acronis tells me to use "\\nas1000\\other files" but does not tell me how to enter this into the selection process or where the script is so that I can edit the script before processing the script.
    I should be able to do this without resorting to NTI Backup Now product which is V3.0 and 6 years out of date, but does work as advertised.

14. superdoug3

Colin, since you have shown interest here are 2 helpful attachments with comments and with diagrams.

Attached Files:

15. superdoug3

HOWRAH
    By changing my selection boxes I managed to get it to work. I have attached a JPEG. I was selecting Documents and Images and my folders inside of "\\nas1000\other files" but this time I selected C drive my documents and "\\nas1000\other files" (dougs notes and expenses) and then checked my TIB and there they were. I guess the documents and images boxes interfered with my network drive letters Thank you Colin for your help with finding my build # and Exploring a TIB file

Attached Files:

16. superdoug3

NOT RESOLVED
    I solved the putting of the documents into the TIB
    see Jpeg file attached.
    I tried restore online, Acronis asked me to reboot, I check my files and they were not restored

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  17. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Brilliant!

18. superdoug3

ON second view NOT RESOLVED
    I solved the putting of the documents into the TIB
    see Jpeg file attached.
    I tried restore online, Acronis asked me to reboot, I check my files and they were not restored

Attached Files:

19. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm not sure why a files and folders restore would ask you to reboot. Apart from the possibility that somehow there might be a difference in security descriptors (and I don't see why with your setup), there is no need for a reboot.

When I tested F&F to another partition and restore, no boot was required.

Can you make a test folder on your C: drive and image a folder or contents to there and then delete the orginal and restore it.

What does the TI log say?
    Does the ZoneAlarm log show anything?

I see in the JPG that two C: partitions are showing, is it possible that TI has restored to the wrong C: label?

20. superdoug3

MY APOLOGIES COLIN - I just successfully restored my network F&F, thank you for you coaching and your infinite patience. I have been at this so long, that I must be getting tired. A good night's sleep and putting a date and time stamp inside of my F&F did the trick.

We just had a young woman (17 year old) crash her truck off a cliff into a tree on my property, Going to fast out of control around a mtn. corner. 4 fire trucks, 3 paramedic trucks, 4 police cars, 2 newspaper reporters. Very dry summer and high fire danger. Took 8 fireman to get her out.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.