Please suggest some Firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pinso, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Hello , i am not new to Firewall terms, but i never used for layeredsecurity, and i have heard or read of some , from Wilder itself and some from webbrowsing, but i am not sure which is the best that suits my needs, some i heard are Windows 7 Firewall Control,ZoneAlarm Pro,Jetico Personal Firewall, Look and stop,Comodo, i do not know which to use, can u suggest some free as well as shareware that is good to use in your experience, and which i should adopt.

Easgerly awaiting some response.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Before we recommend, it would be good to know if you only want a pure firewall and no other features, or a firewall plus other features like HIPS etc etc... :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  3. fax

fax Registered Member

... and you should also specify which security tools you are actually using otherwise its like shooting in the dark. And ZA does not support dual boot OS setups, so ZA is not an option for you :)

4. pinso

pinso Registered Member

For my first line of defense i am using Autorun virus Remover, Faronics Anti-executable and Shadow Defender, u might find it strange hearing from me , i do not use anti virus anymore, as i have stopped browsing through anynomous sites and dont download very often, and i have a dedicated backup if any thing goes wrong.
    I m on second partition, where resides Win7, and their are some programs mainly i download from many Giveaway, which after some period of time, seems to expire when a net connection is available, and i need that tool too, i wnat that host file to stop from contacting its mother serve and rendering the key useless and in the process i have to uninstall that program and i can't perform restore over and over again just to use that particular tool.
    I m looking for any Firewall tool that does the job the way i want, thats all i.e, stop the host file from contacting its server, no hanky panky , hi-fi stuffs, but i really want that Firewall to do its job effectively.
    I know their is a default Windows firewall , but i really am looking for third party firewall. I don't understand the HIPS part.?

5. co22

co22 Registered Member

HIPS
    Short for host-based intrusion prevention system,
    HIPS is an IPS or intrusion prevention system designed for
    security over host-based systems where intrusions and
    infections are dealt with at the individual workstation
    level to provide a more effective level of security.

i use SpyShelter Firewall and its very good :)
    http://www.spyshelter.com/

also if you need firewall it also seems good
    http://www.net-peeker.com/

6. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

From my humble experience: if you want a FW with HIPS then Comodo Firewall and Private Firewall. I would try the Tiny Wall. I like it default deny approach.

7. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Thank u for suggesting those Firewall, so far i tried SpyHunter Personalfree and PrivateFirewall, and these both application is working just opposite to what i wanted, i havn't downloaded Comodo Firewall, just seeing the size which was 140Mb felt little bloated just for a Firewall. Can't find a link to Tiny Wall as well.
    So far the native WinFirewall is working well, and is stoping program's from contacting its server.
    Screenshots:
    Ashampoo_Snap_2013.06.15_23h14m01s_001_Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2013.06.15_23h14m22s_002_.png

i was looking for something that is close to Win Firewall, not sophisticated, restricting the programs would make it stop contacting the server, not like rendering it useless, in one event i got an error, and that program wouldn't run, unless the Firewall was removed, in this case Spyhunter Personal free and Privare Firewall.
    I m finding hard to decipher which i want to keep, at least in terms of what i want, which is simple, stop the program from contacting its home server. o_O

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

For 32-bit I use and would suggest/recommend DefenseWall Personal Firewall.
    I've been using DW now for around five years and am very happy with it's performance, security and support which is second to none.
    DefenseWall Personal Firewall is a two way Firewall with a Policy Based HIPS.
    A fully functional 30 day trial can be found here.......
    http://www.softsphere.com/
    A very detailed help file can be found here......
    http://www.softsphere.com/online-help/defensewall/
    I've been running Defensewall Personal Firewall along side Shadow Defender now for some time and I honestly have had no complaints and zero problems ever, oh and no infections/security breaches either. :D

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm using Online Armor. The name put me off for a long time. I thought it was cloud based. I don't like cloud based.

If they called it Emsisoft Firewall Free I think 10x more people would use it. Its by the same folk as Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Or years ago was called A2 Squared or A2 Anti-Trojan. Really foolish of them to not use their name ime.

Hey Emsisoft! After you see my brilliant idea & implement it. How about bestowing on me a free lifetime license for Emsisoft Internet Security Pack. That would be a stand up act on your part.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Probably not going to happen. The history is that Online Armor was a well established firewall product developed by Tallemu of Australia. It was sold to EMSI.

Pete

11. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

@pinso,

you don't need to create rules to block programs from outbound comms; when set up as in the screenshot, Windows firewall w/advanced security automatically blocks (default deny) outbound as is implied by "Outbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked".

Simply create "Allowed" outbound rules for the trusted programs that need it. Everything else without an allowed rules is blocked by default.

Attached Files:

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the knowledge. Didn't know about Tallemu of Australia.

But whats really disturbing is that you don't think I'll get my free lifetime license for Emsisoft Internet Security Pack.

13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Oh, since I've read somewhere in Wilders that native WF cannot default deny outbound connection I underestimated it. So really it CAN block outbound connections by default. Thanks.

14. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You're welcome. Of course you have to be careful to ensure allowed outbound rules are created for anything that needs them, especially since Windows firewall on its own won't warn about outbound blocks.

15. pinso

pinso Registered Member

i too am learning everyday about Win7, but the default Win Firewall should do, i have adopted Defense Wall for it too and Outpost Firewall for the 1st boot partition, which seems little resourse intensive even for a dual core pro, 2GB ram.
    Is their a thing like outbound rule that is set like in default Win7firewall can that be achieved in Defense Wall Personal.
    i left the HIPS part, not interested as i gave up using anti-virus too.
    I feel DefenseWall is the one for me, a little suggestion with the Outbound rule that can be achieved in DF.

16. pinso

pinso Registered Member

I downloaded ZA, and it is working just according to my preferences, and it has an easy to understand outbound rule to set for program, and i just tried disabling from the default Windows Firewall and activating it from ZA, and the program still is running. So much for Defensewall, which was little complicated to have my way through, OK now ZA is my default choice ,,,hey and what it's for FREEEEE
    ;) :shifty:

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, watch out as ZA does not support dual boot setup. It may work well for you, if not you know why ;)

18. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Outbound control is located in Firewall Tab in DWPF.
    For Incoming connection control you have to click on Incoming button in Firewall Tab.

19. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

all firewall are little here and there they are pretty much same if you behind a router they dont make much difference expect blocking part of hips but then too much hips is more buggy than virus itself :D

i suggest you stick with whatever you find easy to use and understand tweak thats best firewall for you and dont make your system testing machine ;)

what i use is outpost firewall + sandboxie + antivirus or security suites like (KIS) thats all more than enough for me and rest of time linux ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.