Please say you will change the board colors

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Nick, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Registered Member

All of this blue makes me think I'm in a hospital. It' very bland and sickly looking to me. Even the smilies are sick looking by being bluish and not their usual yellow color. I know this is the default vB color scheme for vB3, but it's depressing to look at. I know that earlier versions of vB could be skinned and modified, so I'm thinking that this is also the case for version 3. The previous YaBB board had alot of blue, but it wasn't like this. This is just yucko.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Nick,

Sorry to hear you don't like it. There are most probably as many individual preferences as there are members over here; we'd have to make a choice. And this is it.

regards.

paul

3. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

I would have to agree that all this blue is a bit much and this is coming from someone who loves the color blue! lol. :D I wish there was some other colors included or just some more white even in the board. I wouldn't mind just seeing a pure white background to the posted messages, that would make it a little more easier to read at least imo. Paul could you try some other board color combos maybe & then take a poll perhaps to see which one people would prefer?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  4. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Being a University of Virginia fan, it pains me to have to agree with a Duke Bluedevil, but...

If this is the way it is then so be it, but it is sooooo depressing.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I agree, too much depressing blue...but then I am a green and yellow and red fan anyhow. I have very little blue in my house and wear little blue as it puts me to sleep. It is hard to stay awake here...there is a lack of energy. Blue is the color of both depression and relaxation/sleep. I want something more energizing. :D (It would help a great deal if just the smilies could not be this horrible blue and white! A laughing smilie that is those colors)? Yuck.

However, having said this I have to say also that I don't think anyone here wants what has happened at my home site. What a nightmare there about a week ago. It had been normal looking when I retired the evening before. The next morning, everything on the site was in red and green on Firefox and purple and blue on Mozilla and pale yellow and pale orange on IE. The security forum was entirely bloodred...background, text, everything. The Microsoft Help forum was entirely blue...bright blue...if you think there is a lot blue here..well....you should have seen this! I couldn't read a thing at the site. There was nowhere where there was black font on a white background or even bright blue font on a white background. Turned out the site owner had decided to let us see it more or less as we wanted so all my strange colors were coming from the link colors in each browser and the background colors were partly messed up because the forum mods hadn't fixed their themes although that now too is whatever you put in the browser as the choices. (So everything at that site is now individualized...no one sees it like anyone else does). It was awful. I still don't like it. Even though I don't like this blue at all (the old blue was better although I wasn't enthusiastic about it either..but the shades of blue were more pleasing) I would rather have something I don't like than see the links and the background and general text in the colors I have had to use at my home site.

There is something to be said for uniformity with everyone seeing the same thing ...even if it is a blue one doesn't like or too much of one color....there are probably just as many who do like it.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi,

Me
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Tyler

Tyler Registered Member

The colours used for the Forum are great, but I do agree the smileys need a splash of colour. :(

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I actually like it pretty well as compaired to some other forums I have visited. ;)

9. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Very easy on the eyes ... I like it!! :D

10. Tyler

Tyler Registered Member

Indeed, in fact I would go as far as to say it is probably the easiest to read forum I have visited. :)

11. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Personally i would go along with Paul in as much i like it. You also have to remember That this is a international professional forum and whatever color that you could use certain members will find it not to there liking such is life?

Regards

12. subratam

subratam Registered Member

The color is soothing.. and I am pretty comfortable with it. and to say one more thing.. this color.. is something that makes this forum... like it is.. one of its kind.. i appreciate it :)

13. Paul Wilders

That has been my point from the beginning :) For that reason, we are not planning to make changes in this context.

regards.

paul

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hey everyone who doesn't like the blue here. I have a solution! Fire up your old W98SE boxes with a CRT monitor. I just did that and this entire site on my 17" Trinitron monitor shows in shades of GREY! There is NO blue on this site! "Wilders Security Forums" is in teal and everything else is grey. There is about five different shades of grey here from very light to very dark. The teal is soooo classy! (It is bright turquoise on my LCD and the blue on the LCD is garish looking as it too in the face bold blue).

This grey is beautiful! So much nicer than the blue I see on my XP Pro box on a 19" LCD monitor. The grey and teal must be the true colors because CRT monitors, especially the Trinitrons, have the truest colors that is why they are recommended for graphics people and anyone who must have the true colors. LCDs are not known for the accuracy of their color reproduction although they are much brighter than standard CRTs but not the Trinitrons. The difference can't be that the LCD's are much brighter because I have presentation and full graphics mode on this Trinitron. I just put it in Presentation mode which gives much more light than standard mode to the screen making it almost as light as the LCD's and all the colors here are still these gorgeous greys! No blue. Even the smilies are shades of grey. The color difference is not because I have a cheap LCD either. It is rated the best LCD of all 19" ones and is digital not analog. It just goes to show that the LCDs are still not nearly as good monitors as the higher end CRTs.

Now if I can just find a computer desk to fit in my bedroom so I can get this box off the cart it is on where there is no place for a keyboard (on my knees at the moment) and no place for the mouse, then I will use this old computer to come here as I love these greys!

15. da cat

da cat Registered Member

I just love it, it's restful and calming which I'm sure many of us need after seeing and dealing with all the garbage out there. :D

da cat

16. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Well, the guys building the board either consciously or sub-consciously picked what is universally known in the health industry of the calming effects of colour. [Especially in physciatric wards :eek: ROFL]

Light blue is calming, soothing, easy on the eyes, no strain and you can look at a screen in this colour for hours without affecting the old eyeballs.

Blue is my fav col, so guess I lucked out. ;)

I have seen a couple of other boards that are ghastly, black with red or yellow wording, it makes my eyes curl up and die, heh!

TAS

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I like this kind of calm blue for the ease for eyes,
    i like the font set used, very readable
    i still think the name on top should be in blue shades
    i like smileys in happy yellow -- one could say they make reading restless as yellow spots in the screen, on the other hand... they are there to get attention in the first place......

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

LIGHT blue? It is a VIBRANT even rather GARISH bright blue with turquoise for the name of the forums. The blue is far too intense. Last night, I tried to reproduce the lovely greys I saw here on my W98SE box and my Trinitron monitor on this XP box and my LCD monitor. I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card which gives me a digital vibrance slider along with brightness, contrast, gamma for red, blue, green. So, I played with the controls for each color for several hours. I was able to reproduce the lovely greys and also get a soft blue here but when I did either, I also got very distorted colors on my desktop theme (which is a garden scene) and on other sites, etc. Everything else looked horrible when this site looked nice. Ugh.

So, I can either save the control settings I created to make this site look ok and switch to those each time I come here which would be a hassle I think since I come here off and on all day and not just one time a day. Or, I guess I really do have to use my W98SE box on this site as soon as I get a desk for it. Maybe you have a soft blue because your video card is more like the one on my older box. I say this, because my W98SE box has a 5 year old ATI card with 8MB RAM. I now think the difference in the display on the two computers is not the monitors because I was able to reproduce the greys on my LCD, but something else. Possibly the quality of the video card or something to do with the video card. On my Trinitron all other colors are vibrant and gorgeous when I see the greys here, yet on the LCD, when I set the colors on this site to the greys, everything else is off...the greens look too yellow and the reds are orange red rather than red.

At least one nice thing...the blues are way too vibrant to put me to sleep...a soft blue would do that. I would be snoring in two seconds here. Blue is meant for sleep not for viewing web pages ...unless it is vibrant or even garish which is then energizing or irritating and both keeps you awake. So, I think the vibrant/garish blue I see is what was intended for this site as surely you don't want people falling asleep as soon as they come here!

19. Paul Wilders

Ladies and gents,

As this thread shows, there are as many opinions as there are members on this subject.

The only concern we would ever have about style, color and theme would be if people with vision problems said it was hard to read. Gladly,the opposite is true. A couple people with various vision problems have been trying out this particular scheme running now - and said it was sharp and clear.

Apart from the above mentioned, complaints from our members in this regard comes close to fairly zero percent.

Thus, we will not change anything in this context: all will stay as it is.

No offense intended - but this decision is not open for discussion; it's final.

For that reason, this thread has been closed.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.