please help with nod 32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kaminikij, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaminikij

kaminikij Registered Member

I have been running trendmicro internet suite 2006 and when my subscription expired I tried the 2007. I doesnt work well with IE7 and cant have any other security programs installed and its a big resource hog.So I uninstalled it and downloaded the trial version of nod32. I did the trial because I have had so many software conflicts with TM. The version I installed is nod 32 2.7
    What I want is the version with real time spyware protection. (I would like to purchase if it works well for me) Did I download the wrong version? The other problem is after doing an in depth scan the results show about 15 "locked files". How can I get an in depth scan if the files are locked. As you can tell
    I am not much of a computer guru. At this time the only other spyware software installed is spybot. Maybe you can suggest what else I should install? I cant tell you how much I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks kaminikij

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi ! Welcome to the forum !

No , you didn't downloaded wrong version . There is one version only which provides equal protection to all kind of users , protection against all kind of threats . NOD32 includes one engine only but it can protect against everything including:
    • viruses
    • trojans
    • worms
    • spyware
    • adware
    • hack tools
    • dialers
    • hijackers
    • rootkits
    • other kind of malicious stuff

All you need is to make sure it updates and to also run a firewall .
    You can test your protection here or here

Well , this is again no problem and is normal to see . In short , these files are either in use , they are password-protected or are protected by your operating system (Windows) and nothing can "touch" them , they are not viruses. For more information , see the FAQ section (the first reference)

Enjoy! :thumb:

3. kaminikij

Thanks so much for the help. So I dont need to install any other spyware programs? Do you mind me asking 1 more question. I notice when I run disk cleaner I have about 10k offline files. This started before nod. When I try to view them nothing is there. Any idea what they might be?

4. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I myself use SuperAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com) Free edition, and Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org) to ensure my system stays clean. NOD is very good with spyware and adware, but it is always good to run additional scans such as the ones I recommended.

As for the offline files, I do not have enough networking experience to help. Sorry!

5. kaminikij

thanks again. I am going to download the super antispyware now. Do you keep the realtime protection on?

6. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

I would propose You to use it for on-demand scans only because I think that NOD32 realtime protection is enough. But also notice that if You are a risky surfer You should set superantispyware real time protection on as it will not affect regular computer use.

7. The_Duality

Exactly right. I only use NOD32 in real-time, but I run a weekly on demand scan with both NOD and SAS to make sure.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

No , no other programs really needed (except from a firewall - either Windows Firewall or another) .

This is nothing to worry about . If you run IE7 , they are set to be protected OS files and that's why you cannot see them .

9. The_Duality

Out of interest HiTech, do you not use any other on-demand scanners on your system?

I guess I am overly paranoid about security :p But then again, I only have my AV and FW running in real time.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Believe me , I am more paranoid than you when it comes to these things . No , I am behind a NAT device , run Windows Firewall , IE7 and NOD32 .

You changed to KAV again or ... ;)

11. The_Duality

My pc was running far too fast and secure with NOD, so I decided to dirty it up a bit :p

I imagine the Windows Installer Service is getting pretty fed up with me now ;)

Apologies for the off topic, mods :p

Either way you look at it, kaminikij, you are on to a winner. NOD will protect you against everything out there, and 70% of everything that isnt out there yet :D Extra scans are simply for peace of mind - and are entirely up to you.

12. kaminikij

Thank you all. You dont no how much you have helped. I am trying hard to learn about security but it seems as I finally get it, it changes again! I no I will be back for more advice.Also thanks for making me feel welcome and not idiotic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.