Please help With New Drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have a Dell 8200 with two drives,a 40GB with my system on it and a 60 GB to store digital pictures. I bought a 120GB Western Digital drive to replace my sys. drive. I removed the storage drive and installed the new with the jumper set to cable select. Dell paperwork said that cable select is the way to go. I then ran the WD software to copy everything from C to F. All seemed well till I replaced my old C drive with the new drive and tried to boot. It said Windows couldn't boot because of a Hardware configuration problem. I had to go back to square 1. It said to check the configuration. I had both disks jumpers set to cable select. I have Xp Home SP2 What did I do wrong?

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Make sure the PC boots with the original HD.

Reclone the data from the original HD to the new HD. Follow the WD instruction. Normally after cloning, the user MUST shutdown the PC. Remove the old HD and replace it with the new HD (connected to the long end of the IDE cable). Reboot and check for problem.

Rebooting with the original HD and the cloned HD can corrupt the boot loader.

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I finally was able to get it to work. It was my fault. I wasn't running the WD software properly. So far so good. I hope everything works. Thank you for the help.

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

No problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.