Please help: setup email scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by hds, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hds

hds Registered Member

Hi,

I've recently set up NOD32 on my WinXP Pro machine. Love the speed and unintrusiveness. However... seems to be a bit too unintruisive right now: isn't scanning email at all! :doubt:

Maybe someone can help?

Details:
    Default email prog. is PocoMail 3.1.
    I also use Thunderbird 0.6.

When I launch the NOD32 manual scan, it tells me that there is no mail client set as the default. However, I have set and reset Poco as my default. Furthermore, if I'm in another program (IE, Firefox, Acrobat Reader...) and I click on an email link, PM launches, so every other program seems to be able to find my default email program.

Poco does not support MAPI, so I have unchecked "Use MAPI Interface" in NOD32's Setup dialog, but it hasn't made a noticeable difference.

So I guess I have two questions:
    1) can someone help me get the problem with Poco & NOD32 ironed out?
    2) is it possible to use NOD32 with two email programs? (i.e., to scan mail in both Poco and Thunderbird?) I use Poco primarily for POP mail; Tb for a couple of IMAP-only accounts.

Thanks in advance!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I scan two email programs. I have mapi checked as it seems to make no difference. I am using pop3.

Here is a thread and there are probably more on this forum.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=23758

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19012&highlight=scan email

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Generally no set up should really be required with IMON which is a POP3 scanner. Unless there's something qualitatively different from the standard how the user has email, etc set up or there are problems. (However, if your ISP requires a ssl (secure) connection, then I understand that IMON can't scan the mail.)

I have Poco, it is not the default email client and IMON scans the incoming email. Set IMON to append a notification to all incoming mail, send yourself a test mail and see if the notification is in the email. If it is, IMON is scanning the mail.

4. hds

hds Registered Member

AHA! That's it. I've got several accounts. Most use SSL; one does not, but I very rarely get mail on it. So I just sent a message to the account that does not use SSL and wonder of wonders, the NOD32 notification appeared.

So... is there some way to get NOD32 to work with my SSL accounts? Or am I going to have to choose between SSL and AV scanning? :doubt: Maybe I should try Poco's setting for AV?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, sig! :)

5. hds

hds Registered Member

BTW, I tried to search these forums for "ssl" but got an error -- search term too short :(

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

SSL is encryption, right? I'm not sure NOD is capable of decrypting every form of encryption.

If a file is decrypted, NOD's resident scanner should pick up any malware as it is opened.

SSL

Short for Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents via the Internet. SSL works by using a private key to encrypt data that's transferred over the SSL connection. Both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer support SSL, and many Web sites use the protocol to obtain confidential user information, such as credit card numbers. By convention, URLs that require an SSL connection start with https: instead of http:.

:D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.