Please Help- New laptop crippled

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by drunner2007, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drunner2007

drunner2007 Registered Member

Hi,

I just started as a student at MIT (not majoring in anything related to computer science). A few days before leaving to college, I momentarilly allowed one of my best friends to use my laptop for a little while as he waited on me. He went to youtube.com and managed to infect my computer with a virus (or spyware)!
    To be truthful, I was furious at him, but I didn't let it out on him, because he did not intend any harm.

The effects of the virus/spyware are not devastating, but they have definitely slowed down my computer significantly (right before starting college!), and it feels bad to have a $1300 dollar device crippled. More specifically, IE is running very slowly. Starting IE takes about 30-40 seconds (it used to take about 5) and sometimes my computer locks up when I try to turn it on. Also, when I turn on Ares, the homepage is no longer the Ares site, but instead startvg.com, which looks like a rip-off of youtube.

I belive that I have found the specific youtube page that infected the computer. I was searching through the sites that my friend visited, when I came upon one that tried to change my security settings on a coolwwwsearch.com page. That's when I knew that this was the responsible page. Here are the two potential sources of the virus: ~Snip. Log and links removed. - Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.