Please help me prepare for move to new computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by roystont5038, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roystont5038

roystont5038 Registered Member

Hi,

My computer and some of the hard drives on it are running well but are old and need replacing. So I am going to assemble a new computer of the Performance Mid-range classification.

I run XP and Vista Home Premium in a multi boot system on their own HDD. I have data I want to keep, distributed over 2 other HDDs each with 2 or 3 partitions. The new computer will be configured in multi-boot, with XP, and probably Vista or Win7.

I also have one large capacity HDD dedicated to hold backups made by Acronis 2009.9796. I also have an Acronis Secure Zone on another HDD. But over the years, these have become too cluttered and unwieldy, and I am ready to wipe them clean.

Will you please advise the best way to prepare for the new computer. I want to be able to have all the data presently on the 2 old HDDs moved to a new HDD in the new computer.

I really dont know where to start. Should I backup the 2 HDDs to the HDD dedicated to Acronis, and when the new computer is running, install the Acronis HDD into it and then restore the data to a new empty HDD in the new computer? OR should I backup the 2 HDDs to the Acronis HDD, remove the 2 old HDDs, install a new HDD in their place now, restore to the new HDD, and when the new computer is running install the new HDD into it?

Is there a simpler way? Please advise.

Many thanks

Roystont.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

By data, if you mean data and not the applications themselves, then just gather all the data files on a hard drive or drives that you can install in the new system. For moving to a new system, it is advisable to re-install the OS and applictions. Even if you have a Backup Image made of the old system, you will need the extra cost addon called Universal Restore which works only with the Workstation versions of Acronis - not the Home versions - if you prefer to restore that Image on the new system. IMHO, I don't feel it is worth the cost of Workstation and UR. By doing a new install of the OS you will leave behind all the junk that accumulates in the registry over time.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello roystont5038,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image Home 2009

Please have a look at Acronis Universal Restore using this link

Acronis Universal Restore is required to restore the image of Windows operating system to another hardware configuration. It the implementation of the unique technology developed inside Acronis that allows changing Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL.dll) and device drivers. Acronis Universal Restore automatically detects if the HAL should be changed and also allows adding drivers for new hardware devices. This feature was designed for Corporate products and can’t be used with Home products.

At the moment, the following Acronis products can be installed on Windows 7:

• Acronis True Image Home 2010 Beta
    • Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Family

However, the correct operation is not guaranteed since Windows 7 is still in the development stage. We are planning to release updates for our current products to fully support Microsoft Windows 7 as it becomes available.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.