Please help me pick one !

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by coldplay, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Through Castlecops contest, I have /will have got those anti-mailwares:

Ad-aware se plus
    Prevx1
    Earlydetection Center 2.0
    A-squard Anti-malware 2.1
    Online Armor V2
    Spy Sweeper for MSN (through ISP)
    windows anti-spyware(free)

Could you guys please help me pick one for my anti-malware/anti-spyware protection.

my settings are as follow:

patched windows
    router+hardware firewall+windows firewall
    antivir PE ( will be replaced by VBA32 )

thank you in advance

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

Ad-aware se plus- this will be a nice gift for someone who is an ad-aware follower but not for your set-up.

Prevx1- if you get the same email as everyone else you should get 2 keys for this. Maybe you'll like the windows firewall/prevx1 combo but read further.

Earlydetection Center 2.0- pawn this off on someone...as a gift.

A-squard Anti-malware 2.1- tremendous realtime protection but a rather high false positive rate for an elite product. But this would be fine for a windows firewall/prevx1/a-squared combo.

Online Armor V2- do not miss out on the opportunity to try this product out. Find the OA thread under "other firewalls" and ask for a 30 day evaluation of OA2. I think you will be very glad you did. The program is lightweight, powerful, provides great protection. And this product probably exceeds the windows firewall/prevx1/a-squared combo above.

Spy Sweeper for MSN (through ISP)- as long as their AV is not involved this is a great product. It has a powerful realtime shield and nice detection/removal ability. A-squared may have a better realtime shield but because of the false positives I would probably give SS the edge. But if you have a key for A-Squared, why not just use SS as your on demand scanner?

windows anti-spyware(free)- this product is not worth the trouble.

In all, I would recommend you go with OA2 and use SS for on-demand. You may be able to run them both without conflict. Try them out as I believe they all have free trial periods from their websites. Although you'll need to get a link for OA2. Every computer is different and you need to see what you feel most comfortable with. I have tried them all and OA2 may be the best firewall I have ever used- ZA Pro, Comodo, ect included. So be sure and try that product out. The A-Squared product comes with very high marks as well, more for realtime protection, though.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  4. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Prevx1.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Prevx1 i also have to suggest. I thought i seen it all untill installed this one. It is nothing short of notorious on malware and watches over your system like a rattlesnake. Plus you can't go wrong with it's huge global community support which feeds the database. Awesome.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Prevx and Online Armor.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    From your list, either OA or A2...
    Mrk

8. acr1965

If these two do not conflict, it would be your best combo.

9. coldplay

thank all of you for your input.

I have set my mind on online armor v2 and/or prevx. and I probably not gonna use comodo firewall. and i am okay with run as many as softwares on-demand. Realtime protections,I'd like to just run 1.

my following questions are :

are they overlap feature each other and do I have to run both for maxium protection?

Thank you again.

10. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

The best choice IMO

MaB

11. acr1965

Just go to the thread below and ask if anyone uses the prevx/OA2 combo. There seems to be a lot of interest in OA2 so you may get some good info.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=169119

12. coldplay

I am trying both online armor v2 and going to try prevx 1 later.

quick question though, I am under a router(westell 327w) with hardware firewall (default setting low)+windows firewall. How much more protection can OAv2 built-in firewall give me? Would these extra benefits weigh over the easy use of windows firewall offers?
    thx a bunch.

13. acr1965

With OA2 you get inbound and outbound protection. Windows firewall only provides inbound protection. You would be much better off turning off Windows firewall and using OA2. Also, OA2 works really well in default mode. So there are no adjustment needed, just allow programs access like any other new firewall. Otherwise its out of box settings work quite well.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Just some food for thought. BoClean is very renown and respected by many users also and is said to become released as freeware courtesy of a recent acquisition by the COMODO firewall group. You might keep an eye out for it.
    I read sparkling reviews of it's abilities for quite some time now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.