Please help me and my poor computer!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by bigpoppa13, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpoppa13

bigpoppa13 Registered Member

I am unable to: 1. Change my wallpaper (the selections in the "Display Properties" tab are greyed out); 2. Access the "Trusted Sites feature of IE (the add "Sites" button is greyed out); 3. Turn-on "Automatic Updates" within the control panel (all of the radio buttons are greyed out). I ran the usual programs and I think I isolated and got rid of the culprits, but I am left with the damage to what I assume is the registry.

Can anyone help? Thanks very much.

dell xps laptop
    3.4 ghz processor
    ATI Radeon 9700
    xp sp 2
    internet explorer 6 sp2

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

bigpoppa13

Welcome to Wilders!

You might want to list the usual programs that you used and why you used them.

Any info would be helpful.

3. bigpoppa13

I ran adaware, spybot, hijack this, spy sweeper, norton antivirus, cw shredder, house call, registry clean sweeper.

I forgot to mention that after the virus struck--I dont recall the variant, I was also left with a wallpaper that was added to my computer. I tweaked the registry to get rid of that.

Help if you can. I hate to have to rebuild.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Roll up your sleeves buddy cause your rebuilding. Also install a router and change your browser from IE if that's what your using and add a software firewall as well.

5. bigpoppa13

Man, I gotta believe there is a way to fix the applicable registry values. The virus is gone and I got the firewall up. Any registry experts out there?

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you tried system restore, it looks like it might be a viable option with the problem you seem to have.

7. bigpoppa13

Do you mean SFC /SCANNOW? I tried that too.

I don't want to rebuild my computer!!!!!

8. bigc73542

You can restore your computer back to a date before you were having these problems with system restore.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. bigpoppa13

I tried the system restore feature and it didn't show any available restore points prior to the date I picked up this nasty virus.

I also took a look at the Windows registry recovery article, but that just applies to computers that will not start properly. My computer starts and runs fine except for the problems I refernced earlier.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate everyone's time and effort!

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I changed the links. Those two sites sometimes have ways to repair problems.
    Scan through them.

12. bigc73542

I believe that you have a corrupted registry and without a restore point prior to the infection time and sfc/ scnnow won't work you are loosing options really fast. it is a pain sometimes but a reformat and restore looks more and more like a possibility all the time unless someone can come up with some cure. I wish the best for you.

13. bigc73542

Do you have an os install disc or do you have restore disc set?

14. bigpoppa13

I only have the restore disk, which came with the computer. XP was already loaded.

15. bigc73542

Usually with a restore disc when you insert it you will be given the option to reinstall the os without losing your installed programs or a reformat and restore which wipes the disc clean and then reinstalls the os as it came from the factory. the first option will not cause you to loose any of your programs. Just read the options very carefully at least twice. I have used this option before and all I had to do after restore was delete some of the factory installed programs that I don't use because it restores them. If you have not used the disc before, you can run it and look at the options with out changing any files on the comp. On some comps you have to restart the comp with the disc already in the tray for it to run. it is worth a look ;)

16. bigpoppa13

OK, thanks for the help. I guess I'm ready to give up. I've just about had it with MS products.

17. bigc73542

Ms products may not be perfect but they are so far ahead of the alternatives that we are between a rock and a hard place. I wish we had your comp in my shop I am sure that we could have you up and running in no time. But that just isn't possible. good luck on a successful remedy.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.