Please help, I've got the Shinwow.Q trojan!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by newbieGuy, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbieGuy

newbieGuy Guest

Well, earlier today, I got an alert saying that my computer had detected the Java.Shinwow.Q virus, and the Java.ByteVerify.exploit! (the exclamation point was in the name of the virus) trojans. They were both located in my Local Settings/Temp folder in a file called amc0000.tmp. My antivirus program, eTrust Antivirus, was unable to remove/delete the files. I tried several times deleting them the "normal" way, by sending them to the recycle bin, and then removing them "completely" from there. A refresh of the Temp folder usually showed the file was back again. I deleted the JAR cache and the temporary files from my Java Control Panel, ran the scan a few more times and got varying results. First off, there where three viruses, 2 bytevarifies, and 1 shinwow. 1 shinwow was "quarantined" the other 2 files had a status of "infected". I ran the scan again, after doing some fiddling and I ended up with 4 viruses, 2 each of the bytevarify and shinwow variety. 1 of each was successfully quarantined. I ran the scan a final time and no viruses have been found, however the file, amc0000.tmp that was corrupted is still present in the temp folder. Am I in the clear, or has my virus scanner been tricked? Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to give as much detail as possible. I'm sure this is a question that has probably been answered several times over, but I looked on the site and couldn't find an effective remedy for my problem. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot everyone, in advance. :)

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey newbieGuy, welcome to Wilders!

Have you tried scanning with an anti-trojan such as Ewido?

3. newbieGuy

newbieGuy Guest

Thanks Capp. I ran the ewido scan, and a handful of spyware programs got caught, but the scan passed over the folder that had contained the virus without any trouble, so I guess I'm ok! Thanks again for your help. :cool:

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Glad to help :)

It's always best to keep a layered protection for your system. Such as an Anti-virus, Anti-Trojan, a few anti-spyware apps, etc..

5. ravin

ravin Registered Member

6. WhereTheBeef

WhereTheBeef Guest

Have had absolute tons of those type of infections when using sun java...not knocking sun java just saying it like it really is. In many cases by simply running MRUBLASTER which cleans the temp folders on re-boot the viruses would be cleaned. The cleaning has to be done on re-boot because the files are in use.
    Any AV will offer protection from these. But don't be surprised if the AV can't clean the viruses either........but just about any temp cleaner will do the trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.