Please Help!! invalid image

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by machv1, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machv1

machv1 Registered Member

I recently scanned my computer using McAfee virus scan and removed quite a number of trojans. Now everytime i try to load a program or during boot up i get the error message about a DLL being an invalid windows image and i am also told to check it against an installation disk. Please help I dont know how to fix this problem

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

What operating system are you using?

3. machv1

machv1 Registered Member

I am running on Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You can try to restore your system with system restore. You could also check whether what has been cleaned by McAfee had been quarantined first and try to restore from there.

5. machv1

machv1 Registered Member

Ive tried system restore and it doesnt work. McAfee did not quarantine the files it just either deleted or cleaned it.

6. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

You seem to have two ways of dealing with your problem.First,do you have the retail or oem install cd,not a recovery cd and your windows code key?

7. machv1

machv1 Registered Member

i bought my laptop from dell and I dont have a reinstallation cd.

8. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I would never recommend anyone use the system restore immediately after a virus cleanup,since it simply will re instate the virus. In fact after a virus cleanup you should empty the system restore (Once you have confirmed the system is stable). to delete all possible infections stored in it and re boot, then re activate system restore, and manually create a fresh restore point...

Since your system appears to be working well enough to post in these forums all you need to do is to identify the corrupt .dll and simply acquire a replacement copy. Put it in the same directory the corrupt one came from, you can over write the old one or delete it and replace it, depending on your taste, and you should be ready to go!

(Note) If you google for the replacement file instead of picking it out of some other system you own, confirm it's clean before use by scanning it at virus total.com just to be sure some creep didn't provide you with a doctored version.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

How does Dell expect people to repair their own computers?What do they use now,a hidden restore partition on the hard drive?

10. machv1

machv1 Registered Member

how do i identify the corrupt .dll when every image is an invalid image. everything i click is invalid.

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

With a Dell your box was most likely supplied with a recovery partition, one accessed during boot. Mine's a little older and came with disk's, the newer ones show a key combination like mentioned, something like Ctrl+F11. If you've got the partition it's, I find, quicker to reinstall instead of jump'in through hoops.

S

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  12. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Seems like your in a bit of a pickle. You need to use the Recovery console and you will need the cd to repair these .dll's

Score 1 for cost cutting, and profit margin increase over 0 for consumer in trouble once again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.