Please Help! Computer Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Friar, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friar

Friar Registered Member

Hi all,

My wife's computer has developed a nasty habit and I am hoping to get the opinions of some of the knowledgeable people here at Wilders.

After leaving the computer idle, but power on, for a period of time (usually overnight) the computer is frozen with muti colors on the monitor in a pattern.

To restart the machine I need to hit the on/off switch.

It generally will not restart unless I leave it powered off for a while. I have been leaving the computer off for about half an hour.

On the last restart I tried to reboot in safe mood. Windows gave a message that a hardware or software error must have occured and windows closed to protect files/folders. Windows also gave me an option to revert back to the last configuration that worked, which I opted for.

1) Does this scenario suggest any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any solutions?

2) Any diagnostic software I might run to locate the error?

Thanks in advance,

Friar

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Strange, normally I Would expect leaving the computer on forum a long period of time, having a positive effect as it gives the computer time to slow down and organise itself.

Again, strange this is the sort of thing I would expect to see after some sort of power surge. Have you had any recently?

Jimbob

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

The electrical plug connected to my computer comes with its own built-in power surge protector. :cool:

4. nadirah

I never give my computer a break at all. :D I expect my computer to do exactly what I want it to do! :D

5. Jimbob1989

I have a surge protector as well, however I should imagine not everyone uses them.

Jimbob

6. ******

Yeah, I get a similar problem when I leave my computer on for a long time. When I check it sometimes it has all these colored lines across the screen like the image is all mixed up or compressed together or something.

I'm no expert but my feeling is it may be hardware problem, perhaps the video card, (or motherboard *shudders*) but so far no real issues have developed from it happening, other than the occasional annoyance of it occuring, and it's been happening for quite some time now.

I usually just restart my computer and everything is fine again. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I thought by sharing my experiences it may help you feel somewhat better to know that someone else has the same or similar problem with no dreadful consequences that have developed from it occurring over time.

7. Jimbob1989

No, no. You were right to do so. Scientists work exactly the same way. They share their experiences to help develope scientific knowledge and it works well. Thank you for your input.

Jimbob

8. Friar

Friar Registered Member

Jimbob,

No power surges recently. FWIW there is a surge protection for the computer in question. Also, a second identical machine in the house is having no problems.

Friar

9. nadirah

The answer to this thread is that the graphics of your computer can be easily affected by fragmentation. So please remember to defragment your computer daily.

10. Jimbob1989

Friar, If you don't know how to do a defrag or need any advice, feel free to ask.

Jimbob

11. nadirah

12. Friar

Friar Registered Member

Nadirah,

Thanks for the suggestion. I defragmented today as the computer had not been defraged for awhile. Hopefully that solves the issue

Would a defrag problem cause the computer to fail to restart?

Friar

13. nadirah

I'm not sure but IMHO very unlikely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.