Please help!! Acronis True image problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John London, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John London

John London Registered Member

Hello,

After seeing lots of good reviews about True Image 10 (I am trialing True Image 10 (build 4.942)). I was anxious to start using it. I buyed a new 750 GB hard drive just for create images backups, so I am serious about drive imaging.

I created an Acronis secure zone, in my new 750 GB drive wich only have one partition, partition W, (see the Print screen of my drives.bmp that I included in the attachment http://www.mediafire.com/?dw1xmzydsen) to store the backups (images not clone disk backups, wich I will never use) with a size of 550 GB (700 GB the total of my 750 GB minus 150 GB of data) in my new hard drive and activated Acronis startup recovery manager.

The problems that I have until now are the following (please answear all of them):

1-Difficulty: My first backup (full backup: every data in my 2 x 120 GB hard drives and every data in my new 750 GB hard drive, except of course the Acronis secure zone) represented a total of 165,196 GB, but upon the check up the backup archive for errors ( I have checked the option validade backup archive upon its creation completed) it gave me errors see 1 - 2007-06-06-023618.log in the atchement, but what can I do to solution the errors if I don´t know what they mean o_O :
    1ª error: The archive is corrupted: None

2ª error: Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated.
    Details:
    Image corrupted (0x70020)
    Tag = 0x82DB9339B70C3AFC

See 1 - 2007-06-06-023618.log for details. Apart Note: I ad 1 – (and 2 - , 3 – … in the below log references) to the beginning of the logs to make easy for you the localization of the logs in the atachment.

2-Difficulty: Created an in incremantel backup but still with the same above errors:

1ª error: The archive is corrupted: None

2ª error: Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated.
    Details:
    Image corrupted (0x70020)
    Tag = 0x82DB9339B70C3AFC

See 2 - 2007-06-06-045147.log for details.

3-Difficulty: Created a backup of all my data (see the Print screen of my drives.bmp that I included in the attachment) except of the Acronis secure zone and an folder named 1 in partition/drive W. Except of an folder named 1 because I thought that was this folder that was causing the above errors, because I can´t access, delete or perform any modification on this folder. This folder is read only and I can´t remove this attribute, tried to boot in safe mode to deleted it but with no avail! This folder was created by Norton partition magic when I was merging two partitions in my new 750 gb drive because Norton partition magic sayd that an folder musted be created in the partition that would result from the merging (partition W) to accommodate the data inside the partition wich was going to disappear, although the extinct partition didn´t have any data.This almost full backup only took 10 seconds, is this normal?
    But after created a full backup except of a folder named 1 in drive W, I still had problems; this time was 5 identical warnings, not errors:

5 x these:

Error opening the file. (0x40007)
    Tag = 0xF35F747B3B21FAC3

See 3 - 2007-06-06-053814.log for details.

Note: the 3 above mentioned logs are the ones that I think that are more relevant, but in total there are 10 logs, as you can see in the atachment.

4-Question: If for exemaple I create a full (every data in my hard drives, except of course the Acronis secure zone) archive backup and after various incremental backups, and then if I make a backup of only partition W, except the Acronis secure zone and the folder with the name 1 to see if this folder was causing the above errors, see 3-Difficulty.
    If after I want to delete this last backup archive, because was just for testing pourposes what can I do?
    I think nothing, please explain how true image deletes the backups archives, because I don´t understando_O

6-Difficulty: There is no choice of wtich archive backup to check up in the check backup archive for errors, why? It can only check all archives? If yes, that means that if I already checked the first backup archive and only wants to check the last archive, I have to wait that true image check all archiveso_O

Please help!!

To end:

I am tired, frusted and already lost lots of precius time with drive imaging and with true image, and I thought this was was a straitfoward process.

Maibe True image can´t handle very well full backups and I have to select just a few files and folders.

Please read this message right, I am tired of tech support wich can´t Evan understand the problems/questions in my messages.

Bye

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Since you have an external drive for the backups, two features in True Image are not really necessary:- The Secure Zone and activating the Startup Recovery Manager, and probably had something to do with the problems you ran into.

You didn't say what operating system you are using, win2k, XP or Vista?

Try doing your backups by using the bootable Rescue CD, not from within Windows. You can make this cd from the installed True Image program.

3. John London

Thanx for the time you spend reading my long message.
    But seems that you didn´t understand everything, because i don´t know how you concluded that i have an external drive, because i haven´t none, but no problem.

My operation system is Windows XP professional with all updates.

I will try what you sayd.

Meanwhile i am open for more sugestions.

4. DwnNdrty

Sorry, most time when some says they bought a 750 gig drive it seems to be an external. But nevertheless, my message is the same. Since you have a second internal drive (the 750), using the SZ or activating the SRM is unnecessary. I suppose you know that by activating the SRM it modifies your Master Boot Record.

To some systems it doesn't matter but other users run into problems. And since in your case it is unnecessary, why tempt fate. :D

5. John London

I understand what you mean with the Acronis Startup Recovery Mananger modifeing Master Boot Record, i had my problems in the past with the delicate Master Boot Record.

But regarding the Acronis Secure Zone wasn´t suppose to be agood thing, according to Acronis: Acronis Secure Zone is a protected partition on your hard disk drive that is inaccessible from ordinary applications and ensures that the backup archive once stored there will not be corrupted by the operating system or by running applications.

Or you don´t think that is necessary? please explain

6. DwnNdrty

The fact that only True Image can access what is in the SZ is, IMHO, a double edged sword. I prefer to have my images "out in the open" so-to-speak where I can move it around or copy it as desired with Windows Explorer. The SZ was a great feature in the early days of computers when most people had, and could afford, only one hard drive - the one in the system.

But some users here use the SZ very successfully. It may offer features that you want, but it doesn't for me.

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Forget all about secure zone and startup recovery - not necessary. I would also forget about dif or inc images and just use Full images

I make full images of C: to another partition and have no problems. My OS Image partition is large enough to hold 3 full images. If the most recent is no good I would go back to one of the others. If none are any good or if my machine swould not boot I would use an image stored on an external. That's the theory anyway. In practice I haven't had a failed image in years.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

For more information about the use or non-use of the Acronis Secure Zone & Startup Recovery Manager, click on the Useful Forum Threads in my signature below. Near the bottom of that thread, click on the topic: "Acronis Secure Zone & Startup Recovery Manager".

9. John London

Nah!,

no luck here, removed Acronis secure zone crap and disactiveted Startup Recovery Manager, tried 2 equal backups off the most important things in my drives, one from windows and another from the boot cd (in safe mode) in the past 2 nights, and in the morning they didn´t evan had a message sayng completed with errors, it was just in the main windows of true image, althoug in my backup location there was the 2 new created backups with difrent sizes (20 GB the backup from the boot cd and 33Gb the one made from windows). In the event log there was only the log of my backup from windows, here are the messages:

The "Current backup operation" operation started

Priority changed to Low priority

Error opening the file. (0x40007)
    Tag = 0xF35F747B3B21FAC3

Locking partition E:...

Locking partition G:...

Locking partition V:...

Locking partition W:...

Create Full Backup Archive
    To file:"W: \Acronis True Image backup location\Full backup of the most important things in my drives , 8.6.07.tib"
    Password protected
    Compression:Normal

And it ends, not evan a message sayng completed with errors!

Upon check the backup archive validation it says that the files aren´t Acronis true image archives or are corrupted.

My next step would be check my drives for errors with seagate sea tools (all my drives are seagate), not check disk because i done that before, and these will be probaly ma last idea.

Also i created 2 small backups of 93 megabytes each witch resulted in 2 x 50 megabytes backups, and they ware completed with no errors.

I am very ungry with all this, if every one can make backups with true image why can´t I?

10. Long View

Not sure what you mean by "most important things"

Just as a test - try making a full image of C: to W: nothing fancy - just keep it simple. If C: is too big - after compression - try to make a Full image to an external USB.

Once you have been able to do this basic image you can then try other features. For myself I like the speed of basic full images and haven't tried to copy just my docs or email - pointless options in my view.

11. GroverH

I have been unable to successfully view your attachment. When I attempted to download your zip file, my download was deemed "corrupt". Note: it is not necessary to store your images on a another website. When you create or edit a message on this forum, there is an attachment option which you can invoke. Your images can be uploaded from your computer direct to thisforum. Please consider using this option and uploading the jpg file (not the zip file) so it can be seen as part of your posting. Check my signature link below on attachments. Many of us are hesitant to click on attachments located on 3rd party websites.

If has often been said " a picture is worth a thousand words"--but we cannot see your attachment.
    Would you consider creating a new attachment and make a new screen capture of your "Disk Management Screen". This capture image would be similar to the one shown as DM1 in my "Beginners Guide to Creating Backups"
    Is the 750G drive IDE or SATA?

How much used space and how much free space do you have on Drive C? Do you have enough free space to create a new backup of your entire C drive and store (temporarily) the backup on a folder on the same C drive? If you're using NTFS as your file system, you might consider using "archive splitting" option to control your backup files to 4G or less.

Note: Suggest that you do not use periods or spaces as part of your backup file name. It is "supposed" to be "acceptable" but it is often thought to cause additional problems.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I've uploaded his bitmap file, as I managed to open it.

Colin

Attached Files:

13. John London

Hello,

Sorry for not answear your messages until now, because only today i had the chance to continue with Acronis True Image tests!

Most important things is like operation sistems, program files and other stuff that would take time and are cumbersome to reinstalling again and some importamt data that would be a pitty if was ruined by a hard drive failure, like my important documents: curriculum vitaes, schecudle tasks and the used programs archive, musics, movies etc.

Note: the backups that I will mention bellow were done without overclooking.

Made a full backup from c: to w: as Long View suggested and all worked well.

Included an attachment of a .bmp picture of the disk management screen witch shows the tipe of partitions beside the the free space in each drive. Note: you have to delete the .log extension (in the file name) for it becames a zip file.

All my drives are Seagate Sata, the new one (750 GB) is Sata 2 but only works at 1.5 Gb/s due the motherboard only supports Sata 1.

“Do you have enough free space to create a new backup of your entire C drive and store (temporarily) the backup on a folder on the same C drive?” Done that, and the operation completed successfully.

“Note: Suggest that you do not use periods or spaces as part of your backup file name. It is "supposed" to be "acceptable" but it is often thought to cause additional problems.”

All my today backups were done taking that in consideration.

But when I tried backups of all my important things, in XP profissional and via the boot cd, they didn´t Evan completed, all the sudden the menu with the progress of the backup closed. Upon the check for errors it sayd the files aren´t Acronis true image archives or are corrupted.

Some of these backups I think that Evan didn´t have logs, except one witch sayd por example: Failed to backup file or folder
    'W:\Disco E\Musicas a testar\Anual mix 2005\18-Kiss My Eyes-Anual mix 2005.mp3'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
    Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0AEF
    (0x1003EB)
    Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AC01: Retry/Ignore/Cancel

The complete log is in the attachment.

The time of my first post in these thread I also send a similar message to Acronis support, and they replied: “We would like to make sure that the memory module of your machine is not corrupt as this can be the reason of the issue.” So I made the memteses they suggested:

The first test took more then 8 hours and didn´t finished?? This is normal in memtest + 1.70? And it gave me memory errors.

The second test, was without overclocking (I always have my p4 2800 mhz overclocked to 3000 mhz) and after 4 hours 30 minutes (it didn´t finished) I didn´t have any errors.

Tomorrow I will make the memtest until the end.

Almost forgot, i have a dual boot sistem with XP Profissional and Vista Ultimate (wich i rarely use), i only work with true image in XP profissional and via the boot cd.

P.S. forgive my English, because itsn´t my first language.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  14. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

John, download memtest http://www.memtest.org/ and run it for several hours(over night)and look for errors. Faulty memory can cause corruption with TI.

15. GroverH

After John resolves his corruption problems, my suggestion would be one of the first backups to be completed should be of the entire disk 0 as shown in this link below.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182030
    Any restoration of drives should be of the entire drive as he will have difficulty if restoring only a single partition--to an entire drive. Of course, no problem overlaying a backup image overtop of the same partition.

This is the image posted by John of his drives as shown in Disk Management.

London-drives.gif

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  16. John London

Hi,

Made the memtest86 + run for 3 times:

The first test was made with my system overclocked (I always have my Pentium 4 2800 MHz overclocked to 3000 MHz), took more then 8 hours and it gave me memory errors.

The second test run, with no overckloking, for or more than 18 hours and here are the results:

L1 cache: 8k 22940 MB/S
    L2 cache: 512k 19571 MB/S
    Memory: 1023m 2429MB/S
    Chipset: Intel i875p (ECC: Disabled) - FSB: 199 MHZ - PAT:Disabled
    Settings: RAM: 199 MHZ (DDR 39:cool: / CAS: 2.5-3-3-8 / Dual Channel (128 BITS)

Wall time Cached RsvdMem MemMap Cache ECC Test Pass
    18:01:17 1023m 864K e820-STD on off STD 60
    Errors ECC Errs

No errors.

The 3ª test was done for about 4 hours, with no overckloking and there were no errors.

I suppose that there are no memory problems!! Wich leaves me out of ideas for a solution. :p :(

17. Long View

In one of your posts you say you always have your pc overclocked ? Have you tried using Acronis without overclocking ? Imaging, especially with compression,
    really tests a system and my understanding is that overclocking is not a good idea. If just to eliminate the possibility try without overclocking.

18. John London

If you read my 5º post , you will see that i made backups without overclocking.
    Regarding overclocking i think i will never do again because of the errors that i had in memtest86 +.

19. jruder

jruder Registered Member

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere in the posts, but to date I have had sporadic luck using the windows interface for TI. So far if I boot into the linux environment I have never had the program fail.

(hope my computer did not overhear that....)

Good luck.

Joe

20. John London

I tried backups of all my important things, in XP profissional and via the boot cd and they didn´t Evan completed, all the sudden the menu with the progress of the backup closed. Upon the check for errors it sayd the files aren´t Acronis true image archives or are corrupted.

21. GroverH

1. Memory chips could still be suspect. Any possibility of your getting another memory stick and trying more backups with all the other memory removed?

2. Once you have successfully created your backups, what are your storage plans for your backup files? Should you have a problem with your 750G drive, then your backups are lost--if only stored on your 750G internal drive. You should consider additional storage if you are really serious about backup protection. One example would be to purchase an additional external drive and have it attached to your computer only during the short period of time when in actual use. When not in active use, the external should be completely disconnected from the computer. For example right now, it would be good to have another storage location so you could rule out the existing 750 as contributing to your problem.

3. Recommend your drives be renamed. Normally, drive names must be 11 characters or less. I'm surprised how your longer names are currently being displayed--maybe a Vista enhancement. When booting from True Image Rescue CD, my guess is that only 11 characters will be displayed. It will be difficult for you to identify your drives should the truncation of letters occur. One test of this would be to boot into the TrueImage Rescue CD and see how your current drive letters will be displayed. Simulate starting a backup and the 3rd or 4th screen will display your drive names. Drive letters in the Rescue CD will differ from those displayed by Windows. Note your drive letters are included as part of the suggested name--11 characters or less and no spaces.
    Code:
       Proposed Drive Names        Current Drive name

Boot-Pro_C            Windows XP      Pro, BootSector    (Drive C)
         Rui-Docs_G            Rui's Docum     ents & Settings    (Drive G)
         XP-Pro_E              Windows XP      Professional       (Drive E)
         Vista_V               Windows Vi      sta Ultimate       (Drive V)
         Temporary_W           Temporary                          (USB Drive W)

22. John London

But memtest+ run for 18 hours without errors, are you certain of what you are saying? anyway tomorrow i will try to borough some sticks

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John London,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

24. John London

My Acronis request number is [Acronis #1032220].

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GroverH

1. Memory chips could still be suspect. Any possibility of your getting another memory stick and trying more backups with all the other memory removed?

I tried with a different memory stick and still had errors although different, i think that i got could´t access lots of files errors. o_O

25. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John London,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some additional information to let us investigate it thoroughly:
    Please notice that it seems that application has crashed. Therefore, please reproduce the issue (in Windows) and collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post.

Please also do the following:
    - Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then, send the collected information as a reply to the e-mail you got from Anton Zamkovoy. Please don't forget to include a link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.