please comment on my setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sbbb24, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbbb24

sbbb24 Registered Member

Hey everyone, I just did some reworking of my security setup and I wanted to know what you all thought. I have Vista 64bit. Also, for most of the hardening guides for vista 64 bit I have no idea what they are talking about so I don't really want to mess with anything. As for classical HIPS, I don't really understand most of the processes that pop up so it doesn't really help me:

Active
    Prevx Edge - everything on medium
    Comodo Firewall - on Firewall Security Configuration
    Avira Antivir Personal - heuristics high (I have a NOD32 license but I've been having some trouble with it)
    Norton UAC tool

On Demand
    Malwarebytes Anti Malware
    SuperAntiSpyware
    A-squared Free

Hardening
    Secunia PSI
    SpywareBlaster

Browser (firefox)
    LinkScanner Pro
    WOT
    NoScript
    CS Lite
    Foxmarks
    FEBE

Thanks for the critique :)

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

IMHO your setup is fine. Do you have an image backup and file backup program?

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I love when people ask when they know for sure there setup is golden XD

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I think it looks good.:thumb:

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Looks good ;). Scan everything you download with your scanners before running them and do as Someone suggested and get an imaging program, file backup program and somewhere to store the images and data.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Agree together with an external harddisk which you keep offline during backups, is one of the best counter measure possible. Besides that it is so simple to deploy and when you keep a birth generation (initial install) and rolling three generations of your image (current month = child, last month = parent, two months ago = grandparent), you can't go wrong.

Even withhout zero day protection most AV's are able to define a blacklist within two months, so when you encounter a situation which can not be solved by your AV/AS, go back a month, update your AV/AS and try, does not work, fall back two months and update your AV/AS.

As long as you have data and programs on different partitions, this provides higher security than any software can give.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. sbbb24

sbbb24 Registered Member

Thanks everyone

What image backup programs and file backup programs would you recommend both paid and unpaid? I have an old 200GB hard drive laying around I could buy a case for and turn it into an external for backup.

And as for hardening and rootkits, are there any fairly simple techniques I could perform that are minimally invasive, something similar to the lines of a simple process like spywarebalster?

Well, I know I was on the right track because a lot of the programs I downloaded were mentioned here, but I wasn't sure if I had covered all of the bases, and I wasn't sure if I had programs I didn't necessarily need.

Thanks

8. Someone

Someone Registered Member

There are many good choices, I personally like Paragon Drive Backup Express for a free product. For paid products, Acronis True Image seems to be highly regarded, but many people on this forum seem to prefer ShadowProtect.

9. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Yes, imaging is very important. As a biased person I recommend ShadowProtect. It is reliable, fast and expensive. In my opinion their boot cd is very comfortable. But Paragon may be considered as well. I experienced some problems with Macrium Free though.

Good luck.

10. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Looks god to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.