please can someone help me troubleshoot a network problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iceni60, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, for about the last two weeks i've had a network problem. i'll be using the internet, then all of a sudden i won't be able to connect to any sites. to fix it i have to disconnect then reconnect and get a new IP from my ISP.

there's also a second, similar problem, which happens just as often - once a day or two, and which is happening right now!! -

i can connect, it seems, to every site but ubuntuforums.org. i can ping it fine though. after 5/10 minutes i can connect perfectly and at normal speed. i haven't seen anyone at ubuntuforums complaining about this, so maybe it's just me that has this problem :'(

so, can someone help me troubleshoot this network problem, please?

N.B. i use Linux so can't use Windows troubleshooting tools, but i can use stuff used in a dos prompt. thanks

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I have this problem sometimes, ubuntuforums.org I think just gets a ton of traffic at times, and I have trouble accessing it for about 10 minutes, then it becomes okay again. The arch forums don't have this problem though, maybe it is because arch is so much faster :D

As to the problem with your ip address, do you have a router? I recently had a problem with my router where I had to set it to make my connection "Keep-Alive" instead of connect on-demand. Otherwise, I have run out of ideas ATM.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Alpha :) i suppose i should post at ubuntuforums to find out what's going on there.

yes, i have a Netgear router. what do i need to do to use Keep-Alive?? my headers have Keep-Alive in them, does that mean i already have that configuration?

i accidentally formatted my arch partition when i installed a Dapper LAMP installation - i was going to make room for Dapper by reducing the size of the arch partition, then using that new space; the partitioning was taking too long so i cancelled it, then when i bootedup my arch partition had disappeared and the LAMP install was there instead :ouch:

i loved arch, i had it on a computer that is about 8 times slower then the computer which has SUSE. i could boot up arch, then shutdown and then boot again faster then SUSE would bootup on the fast computer :cool: then everything ran alot faster on the arch install when compared to SUSE. it's because it's optimised for i686 processors.

one thing that always made me worry about arch was thinking maybe i had forgotten to install some core parts of the OS and that was why it was so fast, because i had forgetton to install so many things, and it would therefore be insecure lol

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Check out your router's web config to ensure that it has keep alive enabled, It should be on the first page of the router, at least it is for my linksys wrt54g.

This is the same with my arch install, it is blazing fast, and performs almost as quickly in normal day tasks with a 1.6ghz p4, 256 RAM, and 16 MB graphics card as a 3.4ghz 1 GB RAM 256MB graphics card :D It boots up to the login in under 30 seconds, and of the thirty ten seconds is for my wireless to startup, so it is insanely fast.

I only install the base system of arch when I install it. Then I add on what I need, like ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant, x.org, opera, slypheed, jdk, etc. This way, I ensure that only what I wanted is on the os, and not a bunch of other unessesary things. I also use openbox, which is lightning fast compared to gnome and kde. Also, arch is pretty secure by default since it rejects all incoming connections by default, and you have to write exceptions into the config files to allow incoming connections like ssh.

Regarding your network problem, it may have to deal with your network card. In ubuntu, I had the problem of my connection dropping after a period of inactivity that required me to reboot the computer. I circumvented this problem by opening a terminal and pinging my router every 60 seconds. So far in arch, i have not had this problem. However, this is due to wireless. If you are not using wireless, then I am not sure as to the source of the problem. however, it can never hurt to flash your router with the latest firmware from netgear just in case they fixed a possible bug that is causing your problem.

Cheers,

Alphaltura1

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm not totally sure i have my router's password. i know one of the OSs which had the password stored was formatted, i'll have to check and see if i stored it somewhere else. i can always reset the router, i haven't made too many chages from the default.

the problem is happening on three computers and obviously different OSs too. the network is ethernet. i suppose that doesn't change much though, it's still either a router/ethernet problem or an ISP problem. does anyone know a simple way to find out where the problem is? - router or ISP

i'm always worried about firmware upgrades incase it stops working, especially when the word flashing is used for some reason o_O i flashed my cd player once and it ended up being the wrong firmware, when you make that mistake you can't correct it!! :oops:

regarding arch, i'm 99.999999% sure you have to do a base install otherwise you'll have serious problems.

6. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

My suggestion:

1. Download "Winsock XP fix"
    2. execute (on your XP partition ofcourse...)

Hope it helps...

Regards, C.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thanks, but i really don't have an XP partition. i kept XP for ages because it had some files i needed and it had taken so long to setup, but when i saw it didn't work with my router i formatted it there is abit of one of the partitions left, but it doesn't work.

i think the Winsock XP fix only works with the windows lsp and not Linux

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.