Please analyze the Analysis entry

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by LilMacK, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilMacK

LilMacK Registered Member

Was just getting more familiar with this program,and clicked on "Analysis",then Auto Start.I was very surprised to see the application Sun Java Update,location Registry/HKLM/RUN,path c:\prog files\java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    I got rid of this version of Java a long time ago because of vulnernabilities it had to malware.
    If someone can explain why this entry is listed,I really need to understand the Why factor on this one! o_O
    Thanx

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Unfortunately lots of software leaves behind stuff in the registry after uninstall. I use Ashampoo Uninstaller platinum 2 and this takes a snapshot before and after an install to help remove all the files.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

For some reason the 1.4.2 version of Sun Java does not uninstall as cleanly as it should. If you look in C:\Documents & Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\{7148F0A6....etc, you'll probably find the msi installer that should also be deleted.

4. LilMacK

Thanx for your replies Joliet Jake and TopperID.
    Now I have a few more questions,if you don't mind.
    What is an msi installer?
    I have been thinking of installing CCleaner on my system.Would that take care of all the leftovers in the registry after uninstalls?

5. Joliet Jake

It's the exetension name .msi, like .exe
    CCleaner will clear up the registry, when it offers you the option of backing up, say yes.

6. TopperID

It's the file used by Windows to install the program.

You can read about the Java 1.4.2 uninstall bug here:-

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4760174

If you find you have the {7148F0A6-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142000} folder at the stated location, you can simply delete it.

CCleaner does a bit of 'mild' Reg cleaning, but for a more thorough approach use RegSeeker:-

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

However, no Reg cleaner will get rid of all entries left behind, since they have to be somewhat conservative to avoid damaging the Registry.

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Attached Files:

• java.gif
      java.gif
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  8. LilMacK

So I simply deleted it,it was the installer package.Should I not be too worried about the entries in Analysis and Processes in Ewido reflecting java 1.4.2?
    Thanx for all the great info about Registry Cleaners.I'm always leary about making changes to the registry,as my inexperience just might totally mess my OS up!

9. Joliet Jake

I've messed up using reg cleaners before. It's a good idea to back up the registry before cleaning.

10. LilMacK

Good idea Joliet Jake!
    Planning on purchasing some imaging software this week,so then I can get going on the Registry cleaning.

11. TopperID

You said you got rid of Java 1.4.2 "a long time ago". Are you now saying it is still a running process?

If so, you should use ewido to terminate the Process and then remove it via Control Panel/Add-Remove Progs. Do that before any other messing about.

12. LilMacK

That's whats confusing me TopperID,because I did remove the old version via Add/Remove programs,and I certainly didn't think it was a running process!o_O Didn't find any other sign of java 1.4.2 when I did my search.
    So,in Ewido I should terminate the application in "Processes" (btw,"no" is selected under internet and service),and delete it in "AutoStart"?
    Thanx for hangin in there with this.

13. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

A good registry backup tool is ERUNT. Useful before doing any "small" registry hack or cleanup.

However, a full system backup from time to time can save you a lot of grief if things get suddenly awry!

14. TopperID

If something is running as a Process it will not delete cleanly from Add-Remove Progs. So you should Terminate it before attempting to delete it. If you can't find an entry in Add/Remove progs it may be an idea to D/L the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, as described above, but you need to use great care with this since it is not intended for general uninstalling, only for when there is a problem:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

The significance of the 'No' for Service and Internet just means the process does not run as a Service and does not connect to the Internet.

15. LilMacK

Once I emptied the Recycle Bin of it's contents that held the Windows Java installer package for version 1.4.2 that I had deleted the other day,these entries in Ewido's 'AutoStart" and 'Processes" no longer existed! Problem solved!:D Search engine doesn't turn up anything to do with the old installer for java or the old versions.
    I do plan on downloading a good registry cleaner,once I get my new Norton Save and Restore up and running.(It's the new version of Ghost 10)
    Thanx for all your help!
    Safe and Happy Computing to you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.