Plans for Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by zeico, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeico

zeico Registered Member

I read in a topic post that it was hoped that new versions of NOD32 AV would provide "better integration with Thunderbird". Is there integration at all now? o_O I did a custom scan on my T-Bird Inbox, and the scan was completed in 1 sec.. This is a bit far-fetched, since my Inbox contains over 1700 messages and NOD32 AV only reported 1 file scanned. Am I doing something wrong? I noticed the Help file only mentions Outlook and Outlook Express. Can my T-Bird emails be scanned using NOD32? If so, how can it be done? o_O

Also, are there any plans for full integration in the future with Thunderbird? o_O

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Zeico

2. sangam

sangam Registered Member

full integration with thunderbird.
    i strongly vote for this.

3. dragoneer

dragoneer Registered Member

I've used both Versions 2.7 and 3.0 with TB. In both cases, inbound evil payloads were found and deleted. Note, I'm using POP3 so I don't have experience with other mail protocols and NOD32. Also note that TB keeps some files and directives with suggestive names that contain no or little data. So if you want to scan your mail stuff, I'd suggest scanning the entire profile directory (and subdirectories). However, my guess is that is nowhere near as effective as scanning the inbound mail traffic.

-- Jeff Barnett

4. zeico

zeico Registered Member

I use Gmail and send it to my Thunderbird, but not sure what options (checkboxes) I need to check to have NOD32 AV scan those incoming emails into Thunderbird. Any suggestions as to how I should set it up?

5. dragoneer

dragoneer Registered Member

It seems to work out of the box (at least for Pop 3).

6. zeico

zeico Registered Member

What I am concerned with is the emails that are already downloaded into T-Bird, and I would like to scan them "on-demand". Like I said originally, when I do that it only scans the Inbox. (There is no extension, but all emails are contained in this file which you can view using Notepad.)

7. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

So far as I know it does indeed take care of POP3 scanning. Unfortunately I run IMAP with Gmail now and I don't think it touches IMAP.

8. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

It doesn't touch IMAP.

9. piranha

piranha Registered Member

these files and mail was already scan when receive/send, didnt it !? So, it is normal.... NOD had a settings i think named "smart.... "or "optimized scan"..... (i use french version...... in v2.7, look in AMON, Options...) sorry i dont remember the exact name in english, but nod dont scan again what is already known as clean. Period.

10. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

Exactly how did you set up the scan on the TB Inbox? I went the the Application Data/Thunderbird folder to scan and it worked fine for me. If you are just scanning the inbox then I believe one file is accurate since it's an archive file off all messages.

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I second that. Full integration with Mozilla Thunderbird would be utterly awesome.

12. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

We plan to provide full integration with Thunderbird but I cannot provide you with any dates at the moment.

13. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Registered Member

AFAIK, gmail uses SSL/TLS connections (at least in my Thunderbird), which cannot be scanned by NOD without a plugin.

14. RickS

RickS Registered Member

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Although I don't use Thunderbird it's good to know it's coming at least. :thumb: Also nice workaround RickS.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.