PirateBrowser

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Pinga, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It looks more like a publicity stunt than a real advancement regarding privacy/anonymity... :(

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

It isn't really new and it hardly offers an improvement over, say, the Tor bundle. Still, it promotes awareness for the issues at stake and as such, it is newsworthy...

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I installed PirateBrowser on a VM, not so much to test the browser, but to test several firewalls I'm considering (ZoneAlarm or Privatefirewall). In any case, it's basically Firefox Portable 23 configured to run through Tor (Videlia). It has FoxyProxy Standard add-on and bookmarks toolbar full of links to sites like PirateBay, TorrentCrazy, BitSnoop, etc.

The Tor Browser Bundle of course does not have those links, it comes with NoScript, HTTPS-Everywhere, and TorButton add-ons, and also they use Firefox 17, which is the extended support release version (Firefox ESR). I guess the real contribution of PirateBrowser is that they were able to configure the latest firefox to run through Tor, which is tricky since as far as I know the TorButton add-on does not work with newer versions of Firefox, nor is it listed in PirateBrowser's plugins.

5. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

i think id rather stick to the original and just wait till they eventually update from 17 esr to 23

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but is very slow ,isn't it?

do u think it's secure?
    thanks

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

no, at first I thought it was Tor with newer firefox version and pirate site bookmarks, but since then I've learned it only anonymizes some sites to get around censorship in certain countries. for proper anonymity just use the TorBrowser, and for more security use a VPN service you trust - I mean, you have to "trust" someone in the end if you want to use the internet, even if it's just your ISP.

Now Tor is slow; adequate for browsing or downloading documents and other small files, but to download youtube videos, for example, I just use VPN. I also prefer not to enter any login or similar details when using Tor because you cannot be sure that the exit node isn't being monitored, although if the login doesn't reveal your real identity, then I guess it doesn't matter.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks man ,now it's more clear
    i won't install it
    have a full portable browser with tor would be sweet
    ps is immunicity.org trusty?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

As far as I know, it only uses Tor for specific "censored sites".

Everything else bypasses Tor.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why couldn't they have just stated that in the beginning. Anyone know what exactly are these specific "censored sites"?

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

And I misspoke. It also uses Tor for hidden services.

-https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-August/029703.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I'm not familiar with immunicity.org.

The Tor Browser (aka Tor Browser Bundle) is a portable version of the extended support release version of firefox and includes everything to run Tor, so no install necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.