Pinta Open-Source Drawing and Image Editing Software Scores Another Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Nov 21, 2021.

1. guest

guest Guest

Pinta Open-Source Drawing and Image Editing Software Scores Another Update
    November 22, 2021
    https://9to5linux.com/pinta-open-source-drawing-and-image-editing-software-scores-another-update
    Pinta 1.7.1 Released (November 20, 2021)
    Website (GitHub)
    Release Notes
    Download
    New Features / Improvements
    • The canvas can now be scrolled horizontally by holding Shift while using the mouse wheel (#141)
    • The primary and secondary palette colors can now be swapped by pressing X (#147)
    • Added a more user-friendly dialog when attempting to open an unsupported file format (#143, #1856821)
    • Zooming in and out can now be done without pressing the Ctrl key (#150).
    • Arrow keys can be used to move by a single pixel in the Move Selected Pixels and Move Selection tools (#1906141).
    • Shift can now be used to constrain to a uniform scale when scaling using the Move Selected Pixels tool (#138).
    • The About dialog now allows easily copying the version information to the clipboard for use when reporting bugs (#1924249).
    Changes
    • Fixed inconsistent behavior when switching between tools that share the same shortcut, such as the selection tools (#144, #1558767)
    • Improved error messages when the user does not have read or write permissions for a file (#1715150).
    • The appdata file is now installed to /usr/share/metainfo instead of the legacy path /usr/share/appdata (#186).
    • Tooltips for tabs now show the full file path instead of only the file name (#187).
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug where Auto Crop could incorrectly remove an additional pixel on the bottom and right side of the image. (#1191390).
    • Fixed a bug where drawing a single pixel with the Pencil tool used black instead of the palette color (#1897245).
    • Fixed issues with the zoom controls when using a French locale (#1464855)
    • Fixed invalid URLs in pinta.appdata.xml (#140, #145)
    • Added missing release notes to pinta.appdata.xml (#142)
    • Fixed a regression introduced in Pinta 1.7 that could produce blurred pixels when using the Move Selected Pixels tool (#1904304).
    • Fixed a bug where the Rotate / Zoom Layer dialog could leave the layer in a state where all future actions were also transformed (#1905176).
    • Fixed a bug where the document might not be marked as modified after certain undo / redo actions (#1905165).
    • Fixed a bug where the Move Selected Pixels tool did not handle transparent pixels correctly (#1905706).
    • Fixed a bug where deselecting via a single click in the select tool could cause bugs with undoing earlier history items (#1905719).
    • Fixed a bug where the initial corner of a rectangle shape could be cut off (#1922470).
    • Fixed a bug where the text tool was not correctly clipped against the selection (#1910511).
    • Improved handling of memory allocation failures for large images (#776346).
    • Fixed a bug where the shape tools did not redraw after changes to the fill style until the cursor entered the canvas (#1937921).
    • Fixed a crash when opening an invalid palette file (#146, #1890450).

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Wow, I thought this was abandonware.

3. Daveski17

Pinta.jpg
    Looks good so far. :)

4. Daveski17

OK ... a little buggy. Nothing new there then. :rolleyes:

5. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Did you use the Pinta 1.7.1 Snap, or the PPA version on Ubuntu?
    Over a year ago, I tried the 1.6-2 repository version on Kubuntu. That was no good, it crashed and hang. I think this bug report covers that issue. In comment 21, I read that using the Snap instead of the old repository version would help.
    I haven't tried the 1.7.1 Snap version (nor the Flatpak, which is still on version 1.7).
    Could you elaborate on what bugs you encountered in Pinta 1.7.1? Was it any good, or hardly useful?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  6. Daveski17

It's the PPA version. I haven't tried the Snap. The Snap GIMP and Glimpse are fine. I eventually found the PPA Pinta 1.7.1 basically unusable. Apart from the freezing and constant crashing many GUI functions are unresponsive. I've seen this before with Pinta releases. Usually, after some time, they get fixed.

7. Stupendous Man

Ah, thanks. So the PPA version seems no good.
    I wonder if the issues with the PPA version are similar in nature to those with the old repository version, related to Mono (or perhaps other dependencies). Did you check the Mono version, as recommended for the Pinta PPA?

8. Daveski17

I'm not sure what's wrong with it. It may be related to some dependency. I'll have to look into it more. I might even try the Snap. Pinta updates have never been reliable though.

9. Daveski17

I was looking at the Pinta Snap in the Ubuntu Software Centre but I'm not sure whether the mostly negative comments about it are referring to the PPA or the Snap as they're identical.

PintaSnap.jpg

I have downloaded the Snap of KolourPaint 21.08.0 though. It seems to be a simpler idea probably influenced by early versions of Microsoft Paint.

KolourPaint 21.08.0.jpg

10. Daveski17

PintaSnap.jpg

The Pinta Snap seems more stable.

11. Stupendous Man

In the Kubuntu Discover Software Center, I noticed the same regarding the Snap and the old 1.6-2 repository version.
    Reviews of the 1.6-2 repository version and the 1.7 and 1.7.1 Snap versions are all over the place with both the Snap and the 1.6-2 repository version, it's a mess.

Yes, thus more limited than Pinta (or LazPaint), which is more or less equivalent to Paint.NET.

That's good.

12. Daveski17

IIRC when I first used Pinta on Windows I had to download some kind of libraries with it. I can't remember exactly what they were now. I wanted to compare Pinta with Paint.NET. I don't run Windows anymore. Paint.NET is one of the few things I miss. Hopefully now Pinta has been brought back from the dead it will be a decent substitute.

I edited about a dozen picture files in the Snap Pinta. I had no crashes or freezes. So I'm pretty happy with that. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  13. Stupendous Man

Hey, that's great. Thanks for testing. :thumb:

14. Daveski17

:thumb:

15. guest

guest Guest

Pinta 2.0 Released (December 31, 2021)
    Website (GitHub)
    Release Notes
    Download
    • Ported to GTK3 and .NET 6
      • Many changes to the appearance of standard GTK widgets and dialogs (e.g. the color picker and file dialogs). GTK3 themes should also now be supported.
      • Improved support for high-DPI displays.
      • The platform-native file dialogs are now used (#1909807, #1909664).
      • A GTK version of 3.24.21 or higher is recommended. Earlier versions have a bug with changing the file filter in the Save As dialog (#1909807).
      • On macOS, the menu now appears in the global menu bar instead of the application window.
      • Changed the text tool to use the standard GTK font chooser widget (#1311873, #1866653, #890589)
      • Changed several tools to use spin buttons rather than editable combo boxes for e.g. selecting brush sizes (#1186516).
      • The Open Recent menu item was deprecated in GTK3 and has been removed, but similar functionality is available in the file dialog’s Recent section.
      • Support for add-ins has been removed, but may return in a future release (#1918039).
      • The Windows and macOS installers now bundle all necessary dependencies. Separately installing GTK and .NET / Mono is no longer required.
    • Added a status bar widget containing the position / selection information, zoom, and the color palette (#154)
    • Changed the tool palette to be a single column (#155)
    • Added recently used colors to the color palette widget (#154)
    • Tools now save their settings for the next time Pinta is opened (#178).
    • The primary and secondary palette colors are now saved in the application settings (#171).
    • The canvas can now be panned by clicking and dragging with the middle mouse button (#176, #419).
    • On macOS, keyboard shortcuts now use Command instead of Ctrl.
    • The macOS installers are now signed and notarized.
    Changes
    • The Paste Into New Image action no longer creates several unnecessary history items (#170).
    • Performance improvements for the paint bucket and magic wand tools (#159).
    • Performance improvements for the selection tools when interactively adjusting the selection.
    • Removed the Images pad, which is obsolete now that tabs are used (#153).
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed several Unicode-related issues in the text tool (#1422445).
    • Fixed issue on macOS where Pinta could launch in the wrong language (#1900310).
    • Improved the UX of the Close and Save As confirmation dialogs (#1909576, #1909688).
    • Fixed a bug where the Pan tool did not work if scrolling could only occur in the Y direction (#1909910).
    • Fixed issues where the zoom level was not maintained when resizing an image (#1889673).
    • Fixed an issue where opening a file URI from the command line did not work (#1908806).
    • Fixed an issue where hiding a layer could leave the selection still visible (#1907987).
    • Fixed issues with the text tool and certain input methods (#200, #1350349).
    • Fixed an issue where the text tool’s font settings were incorrect after undo operations (#201, #1910495).
    • Fixed the Copy Merged action’s behaviour for non-rectangular selections (#1363388).
    Checksums
    • Fingerprint: 5BDA 30D0 C2E9 85E5 9808 9E44 4CF8 0E80 E77C 5C35
    • GPG Signature: gpg --verify pinta-2.0.tar.gz.asc
    • Checksum: pinta-2.0.tar.gz.sha512
    Pinta 2.0 Open-Source Paint Program Is Out Now as a Major Update, Ported to GTK 3
    January 1, 2021

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2022
  16. guest

guest Guest

Pinta 2.1 Released (January 3, 2023)
    Website (GitHub)
    Release Notes
    Download (GitHub)
    • Updated icons to symbolic SVG icons, which are more usable for dark themes and high-res screens (#204, #207, #1738106, #1909573)
    • Added “Transparency Mode” to the Gradient tool
    • The selection move handles and shape control point handles are now much easier to use when working on zoomed in or small images (#211, #223, #1173756, #1958924, #1958920)
    • The File -> New Screenshot command now uses the XDG screenshot portal if available. This fixes issues with taking screenshots under Wayland (#218, #1955841)
    • Improved canvas rendering performance (#209, #210)
    • Added support for loading files from virtual filesystems such as Google Drive mounts (#215, #1958763)
    • Improved support for .ora files
      • Hidden layers are now round-tripped correctly for .ora files (#1377566)
      • When saving a .ora file, a flattened image (mergedimage.png) is now included in the archive. This is required by the spec to accomodate viewer software (#1377566)
    • Image or palette files that have an unknown extension but have valid contents can now be loaded (#1679570)
      • The file dialog also now uses MIME types on Linux and macOS, allowing valid image files with unknown extensions to be included in the image file filter (#216)
    • Updated the application icon (#220)
    • WebP support
      • For Linux users, webp-pixbuf-loader is now a suggested dependency to enable WebP support in Pinta
      • webp-pixbuf-loader is now included with the macOS package for WebP support
    • Upgraded to .NET 7
      • Building against .NET 6 (LTS) is still supported. When building from the tarball, .NET 6 will be used if .NET 7 is unavailable
    Changes
    • Pinta now uses the standard GTK about dialog
    • The Line / Curve tool no longer requires pressing Ctrl to start drawing a shape when the mouse is outside the canvas (#1999997)
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug where the default linear gradient was reflected rather than clamped
    • The gradient tool now updates correctly when drawing transparent colors. Previously, old results were visible under the transparent color (#1937942)
    • The history panel is now more readable when a dark theme is used (#207)
    • Fixed an issue where the Cairo surface for live effect previews was not always disposed (#206)
    • Fixed errors that could occur if a selection existed but had zero area (e.g. after inverting a full selection) (#1754440)
    • Fixed an issue on Windows where the ruler’s text did not render correctly (#212)
    • Fixed a regression from Pinta 2.0 where the rulers did not draw a marker for the current mouse position (#214)
    • Improved the zoom tool’s rectangle zoom when working with smaller images
    • Fixed a potential crash when opening / adding an image after actions in the layer list panel (#1959598)
    • Fixed an issue where the “All Files” filter in the Open File dialog ignored files with no extension, and did not work in the macOS native file chooser (#1958670, #1679570)
    • Fixed a crash in the text tool when pressing Ctrl+X without a selection (#219, #1964398)
    • The application icon now appears correctly on KDE Wayland sessions #1967687
    • Fixed an issue where the selection could be invalid after undoing a rotation #1975864
    • Fixed a bug where the selected layer could be changed while updating the layer list widget #1965101
    • Fixed a bug in the shape tools where changing the shape type did not always take effect (#235, #238, #1993332, #1635902)
    • Fixed an issue on macOS where toolbar drop down button menus items could not be selected properly
    • Pinta now always saves files to the exact file name chosen by the native file dialog, without e.g. appending a default extension. This fixes issues where files saved through desktop portals could be lost (#1958670)
    • Fixed a bug where an empty dash pattern resulted in nothing being drawn (#1973706)
    • Fixed issues where certain dash patterns did not draw correctly (#1959032)
    • Fixed a bug where pasting into a new image could occasionally zoom the new image to 1% (#1959673)
    Checksums
    • Fingerprint: 5BDA 30D0 C2E9 85E5 9808 9E44 4CF8 0E80 E77C 5C35
    • GPG Signature: gpg --verify pinta-2.1.tar.gz.asc
    • Checksum: pinta-2.1.tar.gz.sha512
    Pinta 2.1 Open-Source Paint Program Adds WebP Support, Wayland Improvements
    The new release also adds a new "Transparency Mode" to the Gradient tool, better HiDPI support, and .NET 7 support.
    By Marius Nestor - January 3, 2023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.