Ping Reply - Not Stealth

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Just tried the Sheilds Up!! Stealth Analysis, and it says that my PC passed all tests EXCEPT the Ping Reply test (see below). I'm not sure this is bad - can anyone answer this? I am sitting behind a DSL modem / router. I am told that it is my modem / router that is responding to these PING requests, my firewall (Zone Alarm) can do nothing about it, my PC is secure, and I am not to worry. Is this true?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It sounds as if someone pinged your computer it would answer the ping. I may be wrong but wouldn't that defeat being stealthed?

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Well not exactly. The IP address it pinged successfully is the address of the modem / router. It uses NAT, and my PC's IP is something completely different. I'm not an expert on this - it's what I was told.

To confirm, I tried pinging the IP address of my PC, and it is steathled. Sounds what they are saying is true.

4. bigc73542

Mine doesn't reply to pings but that is how my router works also seperate ip than my comp.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

I tried looking at my Modem / Router's instruction manul. Not much help. I'll have to do more research to find out how to disable that (if I even should). o_O

6. bigc73542

probably the best place to find the info on how to configure your router would be on the routers mfgs. homepage.

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Daisey,

Can't you configure your router to not respond to incoming WAN pings?
    Maybe it just needs configuring.
    You should be able to log in to the router via a web page to set things.

8. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

I had the same problem with a new router (from D-Link). Check google for your specific model and add the keyword "stealth". For my router I found a tweak/solution in one of the "DSLreports" groups.

Good luck :)

Thomas

9. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

You have to shut off WAN Ping replies in the configuration of your router. Most routers default to answer ping replies, and it has to be turned off. My D-Link 604 had a simple checkmark that needed to be removed in my configuration settings.

10. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

It is just your router that answered to the "ping" and not your computer, so no harm done here, your computer IP is still "stealth".

In many routers however there is a checkbox to disable this issue.

cheers,
    Martin

11. Dazed_and_Confused

Talked with my ISP, as well as other folks with my modem and the same problem, and it appears the ability to disable pinging is not possible. At any rate, all seem to agree it's not a security problem as long as my software firewall is configured correctly and all ports are closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.