PID 0

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Snook, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Can anyone provide some info on Process ID 0 (PID 0)? I've Googled with no luck. PID 0 does not allow any of the advanced features of Port Explorer (can't kill process or spy on it).

Thanx

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Snook, I found this info' in the help file:
    Windows XP/2003

In some rare circumstance, Windows XP doesn't clean up all its sockets correctly after an application has closed. This has the effect of Port Explorer showing a socket with an asterix and no filename because the application is closed yet Windows XP is reporting that the closed application owns the socket(s). Usually after your internet connection has been disconnected the 'blank' socket(s) will be cleaned up by Windows XP. This isn't a Port Explorer problem, it's a Windows XP issue. To check this, whenever you see a blank socket go to your command prompt and type "netstat -ano" (without quotes). You should see the sockets which have the same PID as the blank sockets in Port Explorer. If you look in Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete | Task Manager) you will see no process that has the PID that netstat and Port Explorer report.

HTH Pilli

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  3. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I see now that *system does have a PID 0 and that is covered in the help file. Again, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.