PicPick; 'swiss army knife' for graphic designer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by moontan, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

this tool is a must if you do any graphic work.

portable version available @ porteableapps.com
    http://portableapps.com/news/2012-09-07--picpick-portable-3.1.7-released

* Screen Capture - Take screenshots of the entire screen, an active window, specific region of the screen, free hand, scrolling window and more. Auto-scroll, dual monitors and sound effect are supported.
    * Image Editor - Intuitive User Interface (Windows 7 Ribbon style). Standard drawing, shapes, arrows, lines, text, and etc. Effects are supported as well. Blur, sharpen, hue, contrast, brightness, color balance, pixelate, rotate, flip, frame effect and more.
    * Color Picker and Color Palette - Various color code type (RGB, HTML, C++, Delphi). Photoshop style RGB/HSV conversion is supported. Pick and Save your favorite color!
    * Screen Pixel Ruler - horizontal and vertical orientation. various units (Pixels, Inches, Centimeters). DPI setting (72, 96, 120, 300).
    * Screen Magnifier - Zoom 2x to 10x option. Stay on top, smooth display, and sizeable window
    * Screen Protractor - Helps you find angles on screen. Pick a center, then a location, then the angle in degrees away from the first. Can be used in a variety of photography, math, and graphics applications.
    * Screen Crosshair - For aligning objects in graphics or design applications. For calculating relative coordinates on screen
    * Whiteboard - For giving a presentation or just drawing something on screen

2. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

3. moontan

there's a reason for that.

in the past they had it bundled with adware stuff.
    i don't know if they still do, but a cat scolded by hot water won't like cold water either. ;)

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

So no ads in the version from PortableApps??

5. moontan

none.

i actually paid for the product but it won't take my license anymore for some reason.lol

doesn't matter to me because the paid product is the same, but for commercial use.

6. moontan

i just went to their website and here's what it says about the commercial version:
    "We guarantee that this commercial version of PicPick is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any advertisement or thirdparty softwares."

better use the version from portableapps.com. lol

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Just gave the PortableApps version a quick test. Overall, quite nice. Tried to crop a full page scrolling screen capture on XP and had some error messages. Reduced the zoom by 1 % and tried again with no issues.

I own the latest paid FastStone Capture and IMO, it's smoother for captures and edits. But for personal use, PicPick can't be beat for the price. Free beats $19.95 any day!

8. moontan

i also have a paid copy of Fast Stone Capture but the things i use PicPick for are especially the Pixel Ruler, the Protractor (for measuring angles) and the Crosshair (for measuring the distance in pixels between 2 points)

beside Picpick, the only good measuring tools are paid ones.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. moontan

tnx JR! :thumb:

just got it. :)

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

moontan, you're welcome! Take care.

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

When you use PicPick for rolling screen captures, how do you separate a lengthy capture into a multi-page doc for printing? I tried to figure it out and couldn't... :blink:

13. moontan

you can't.
    this isn't Adobe InDesign.

but you can select an area, right-click ans choose "Save Selection As" and save each chunks separately.

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! Too bad it can't do that.
    (It is something FastStone Capture can do and I use rolling captures quite a bit. Thus the reason I asked...)

15. moontan

well, like i said, i only use PicPick for the measuring tools.
    the only thing i have seen that is as good as PicPick for those tasks is Screen Callipers, but it's worth 30$.

if people have no need for those then there are better app than PicPick for screen captures.
    my needs are little when it comes to this so i use the built-in Snipping Tool in Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.