Physical to Virtual-Step by Step procedure requested

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by guruuno, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

I have a new Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server, 8Gb ram, Raid5, with X64 Windows Server 2003 R2.

This server is to replace an older XP Pro Workstation, which was nothing more than a file server.

I'd like to make an image of the XP Workstation, and deploy it on a Virtual Machine on the new server.

Other than just plain 'ol making the image with Universal Restore, is there some other process to get the image on the VMware partition?

Alternately, if Acronis cannot do it, what other options are there (I already own Symantec Backup Exec with seamless integrates the .v2i (image file) from VMware), and was hoping some as simple procedure exists with any of the Acronis products.

Thanking all in advance.

2. mvalpreda

mvalpreda Registered Member

What VM software are you using on your server? If VMWare, just use the FREE converter. I did the same thing with a failing workstation we needed to save. Took about 45 minutes to turn a 30GB physical machine to a VM on our server. It will now live forever. ;)

3. guruuno

So, you are saying the the Free VMware Converter, "converts" Acronis True Image files? (.tib file)

4. mvalpreda

No. I'm saying why make a backup and then a backup to a VM? If you are using VMWare, download the converter (http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/) and go through the steps to make a physical machine into a virtual machine. No need to back it up and then convert the ATI image file.

Or do you just have the ATI image and no physical machine?

5. guruuno

I haven't started any processes as of yet, but you say create a VM 1st, then from within the VM restore with the utility?

6. guruuno

Ohhhhhh, you are saying that VMware has it's own procedure to create the image from a physical imageo_O If so, GOT IT!! Thanks!

7. guruuno

And if so, I'd assume I'll need a required version of Vmware on the new server to 'see', whether via mapped network share or (?) to create the VM from the physical? Or do I install VMware Workstation of the old XP box, use the converter to create the VMware image which I then use the converter to restore to the VM on the server.....?

Appreciate it, 1st time doing this with Acronis (or not), and as I said before, I did it with Symantec Backup Exec.....now if I understand correctly....this process requires no software other than Vmware, and the procedure to create a VM from a physical machine is part of the functionality of VMware (meaning I don't need to worry about making an Acronis backup??)

8. mvalpreda

Install VMWare server on your server. It's free.
    Install VMWare converter on your server. It's free.
    Run VMWare converter and turn the physical machine into a VM.

9. mustang

mustang Developer

I suggest you consider the new Echo versions of True Image. The Enterprise Server, Server and Workstation versions all contain the ability to convert an image file to a Virtual Hard Disk. You have a choice of four formats:

VMware
    VMware (ESX Server)
    Microsoft Virtual PC
    Parallels

10. guruuno

That's great, but I do not see any product information or pricing as well as availability on their website.......is it Acronis, is it out, etc.?

Thanks

11. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Guruuno,
    It's in the corporate TI lineup...

Also, the VM Converter v3.02 says it added a TIB (version 9) conversion to virtual HD support. I don't know if anything has changed from version 9 to current though. This would be an interesting test.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  12. hakre

hakre Registered Member

I had problems with both the VMWare Converter on a ATI 9 image (.tib) as well as with ATI Echo to convert a .tbi into a .vmdk. Are there any other utils, maybe to create a VMDK directly from the partition?

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hakre,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but current builds of Acronis True Image Echo are only able to convert images made from IDE or SCSI hard drives. The issue was already fixed and the fix will be included into the next build of Acronis True Image Echo. We are sorry, but the exact time-frame isn't defined yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. hakre

hakre Registered Member

So you mean, an IDE drive that was connected via USB can't be handeled by the current ATI Echo?

15. Acronis Support

Hello hakre,

Correct, since in that case the drive operates via USB interface.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

16. Virtualizer

Virtualizer Registered Member

Is it possible to download that fix manualy (now)? Will it be possible to do a free update (download) of our very new purchased Acronis True Image Echo Server CD (if available)?

Thanks & Regards
    Torsten (looking forward to work with ATI Echo and SATA HDDs ;-)

17. Acronis Support

Hello Virtualizer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that currently there is no build released that includes the fix. Once it's released, it will be avaible to download as an update (i.e. free if you have a license of the respective version of Acronis True Image Echo).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

18. Dragg1e

Dragg1e Registered Member

Hey guys,
    Is there a way that I can schedule the conversion of the *.tib files to the vdmko_O

19. TimHaegele

TimHaegele Registered Member

How can I convert a .tib to bootable Vmware Image?

- ATI Echo converts .tib to .vmdk, but the vmdk is only the "virtual disk", lacking the config file .vmx etc.
    - Vmware Converter fails to convert .tib to a VMImage, obviously because support for .tib's created with "ATI Echo Server" is not yet implemented
    - Yes, Vmware Converter can create VMImage from a running machine, but this is not what I want and does very often not work (never worked on a Server here)

Greetings
    Tim

20. paulimmoos

paulimmoos Registered Member

I'm in the same boat Tim. I would like to be able to take my backup and use the Acronis Converter to create a virtual machine for that bare metal crash that might happen.

I've tried Vmware converter for the tib file and had teh same prob. I have used the VMware converter with sporadic succes on MS2003 servers. There is a program for converting vmware to ms vpc format. But I have also had limited sucess with it.

21. mustang

mustang Developer

All you do is use the Echo converter to turn the tib file into a virtual hard drive. Then create a new VM with VMware and use the existing hard drive you just created.

22. TimHaegele

TimHaegele Registered Member

I tried this, but the VM does not boot, getting a Bluescreen with Stop: 0x0000007B

Because the .vmdk has all the drivers for a IBM Server installed its no wonder I think?!

Greetings, Tim

23. JFoo

JFoo Registered Member

Hi, I am curious to see if anyone has actually done XP pro physical machine to virtual machine(microsoft Virtual server 2005) using an TI 11 .tib image . If so, can you give step by step. I read that you can use echo workstation, but I already purchased the TI 11.

24. sramey

sramey Registered Member

I too am curious. When i try to convert a .tib to vmdk, i receive an error message: "invalid parameters" (i find this in the logs files).

Does anyone know what this is refering to? i'm using TI echo build 8076.

25. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The tib file structure is diff in version 11 than in 9 or 10. So something that was made toconvert 9--and hasn't been updated to handle 11 won'thandle them properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.