Physical Placement of Hardware

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I've been having problems with my internet connection (cablevision); signal gets dropped and it takes a few minutes before it comes back.

Cablevision technician was here - he checked out the line coming in to house from outside, fixed the grounding cable and made a few tweaks which he explained and I didn't fully understand.

He did make an observation concerning my modem. On my desk,there is my modem, my linksys router and a micro cell tower. The cell tower is an ATT contraption that directs my cell phone calls through the internet because we have a very weak cell signal where I live. All three devices are all right next to each other - he said that might contribute to the problem and maybe they should be separated. Is that a valid issue? If yes,why? Some sort of interference?

I'm going to take his advice - I can separate them by 5 or 6 feet with longer cables, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. If you agree, is 5 or 6 feet long enough?

Thanks,
    Len

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

5 or 6 feet is fine. That is the commonly recommended distance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.