Phoenix Mail- a great open source program

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have several websites that provide counselling via email. At last count, I had 15 active email accounts. They generate a lot of mail. Therefore, I am always in search of the *perfect* email program.

Of course, what is perfect for me may not be perfect for you. I like email programs that are simple, VERY light on resources, FREE, fast, stable, readily handle multiple accounts, safely handle MIME & html, and work well with any AntiVirus program.

For quite a while my favorite has been Calypso. A few days ago, however, I ran across Phoenix Mail, and I am liking it even better than Calypso.

Phoenix is open source. Latest is 0.93 beta 9. It's been rock steady on my WinME for several days of heavy use. Compact, powerful, fast. Supports multiple mail accounts, keyword filters, Drag 'n Drop, printing, address book, MIME, POP3 and SMTP. Safely renders HTML as plain text, with option to depict it on any browser of your choice. Option to delete unwanted mail directly on the server, without downloading it. It is configurable to link with ANY AntiVirus program!

Only down-sides are: (1) Phoenix's GUI is NOT pretty, & (2) It has no spelling checker. The latter is not a problem. I use FreeSpell -- another freebie that will spell check ANY program's text -- even a web page's!

Back to Phoenix -- you can download it HERE.

To install, simply unzip ~650K zipped file to the directory of your choice. Poof! It's done. To uninstall, simply delete the directory -- Phoenix makes NO changes to your system or registry.

If anyone tries Phoenix, I would appreciate reading your comments.

aloha...... bellgamin

2. metoo99

metoo99 Guest

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

That file is an Alpha version, NOT a beta. An Alpha version has not been as extensively tested as has a Beta version. Alpha versions are mainly used by developers & by EXTREMELY adventurous souls. :eek:

I recommend you go with 0.93 beta 9 -- that's what I'm running, & it is very stable. Get it at... HERE.

4. Hi, I am trying again this mail client, I used to have it about 2 years ago and it works fine, the one thing I like is that it has the possibility to scan mails with your antivirus even if it doesn´t have mail scanner because you just select in this program the AVmonitor and it does its work. It is a good program and works fine with e-trust 7 free ( promo edition).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.